20 major inventions of the 20th Century

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I got inspired by 21 Lessons for 21 Century, and let's talk about 20 major inventions of the 20th Century

1) The Internet: Even though its realistic take-off happened in late 20th Century, it should still be considered
one of the most important invention.
2) Personal computers: they revolutionize the way we work and play.
3) Airplanes: We are no longer struck on ground!
4) Integrated circuits
5) The Television: In spite of competitions from the Internet, it remains a major media.
6) The Radio: It is upgraded to Internet radio.
7) Antibiotics: They quickly changed the balance of power between pestilence and humans.
8) Viable and safe vaccines
9) Stainless steel: This is debatable; then, stainless steel is simply too ubiquitous!
10) Vacuum machine
11) Washing and drying machine (note that drying machines save even more time, in spite of being
major energy consumers.)
12) Audiovisual recording technologies (these are why older stars are still remembered posthumously.)
13) Nuclear energy
14) Genetics
15) Combustion engine
16) Zirconia ceramic
17) Polyester
18) Quartz and self-winding watches (note that many self-winding watches are still manufactured, and I have a few.)
19) Cell phones
20) Jet engine

I'm not the most technology-savvy; and I recall some people calling Viagia a major invention (with knowledge of
traditional Chinese medicine, I know it is more likely to kill than anything.)
Can any people make a better list?
Are some of these questionable? I rush this up.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
The internal combustion engine is 19th century. I don't know what a combustion engine is, but it could be a steam engine which is even older.
Photography, and even motion pictures, are 19th century. So is sound recording (the phonograph, but magnetic tape was 20th century). The only thing 20th century about audiovisual recording is the merger of sound with motion pictures circa 1927.

You could merge some items such as airplanes with jet engines, vacuum machines with washers and driers, the internet, personal computes, and integrated circuits can probably be reduced from three items to two or even one.

If you want to edit the list might I propose air conditioning, remote sensing technology like radar and sonar, and space technology like communications, GPS, and weather satellites.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Are some of these questionable? I rush this up.
Okay radio, combustion engine and audio visual recording all date back to the previous century and vaccines date to the century before that

I would add to the list penicillin and space technology.

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
The internal combustion engine is 19th century. I don't know what a combustion engine is, but it could be a steam engine which is even older.

If you want to edit the list might I propose air conditioning, remote sensing technology like radar and sonar, and space technology like communications, GPS, and weather satellites.
St George's Hall in Liverpool was fully air-conditioned in 1854.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
To number 19: the portable high-UHF frequency cell phone demonstrated in 1973 was in fact something of a derivative of color television. The synthesizer advances needed to cheaply detect the color subcarriers allowed the concept of the cell phone to take off between roughly '78-'84, so I'd suggest that either color TV needs to be added or Cell phone replaced with "FM radio" since early cell phones were advanced trunked FM radios.

EDIT: perhaps Television at number 5 is okay as an "invention", however, I'm asserting that low-cost color TVs were a different machine entirely from the TV's available in the early '50s. But my mistake to have skipped over television at 5...

Well, maybe the list is conceptual and I just wanted to talk a bit about those early phones. thanks for bearing with me.