2018: How many countries 100 or 70 years?

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
A lot of countries were created or recreated at the end of the " Great" war( some european, like Poland or Estonia). Again in 1948 a wave of former colonial possesions became independent(like India or Israel). So will there be some marking? Now those countries are older than the vast majority of living people.And how much of a succes has these ideas of independence been?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Dividing Germany, Korea, and Vietnam into Communist and non-Communist regions was generally a failure but over time two of those three mistakes have been corrected.

Forcing peoples to live together who do not wish to live together, as in Czechoslavkia, Yugoslavia, and the Soviet Union was a mistake although in the case of the Russian Empire, that mistake was made long before the Great War.

I wonder if the Middle East today would be better off without Sykes-Picot? It's hard to imagine the Middle East with functioning states.

Rhodesia/Zimbabwe was a disaster but it's been less than forty years. Hopefully they can sort themselves out.

Somalia and some of the other African states are struggling.

Burma/Myanmar is probably the worst government in that part of the world.

Most other new countries have managed to do a good job with themselves.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
For the most part. I think things have gone well. The old multi-ethnic empires were often held together by colonialism, force or coercion. Letting people be free to choose their own destiny is always a good thing to me.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
How are many separatist movements still ongoing?

Belgium
Scotland
Catalonia
Croatia
Silesia
Faroes
Basques
Corsica
Savoy
Occitania
Chechnya
Ruthenia
Quebec
Greenland
Zapatista
Puerto Rico

Those are just in the western cultural areas... lots more in other parts of the world. I'd guess in another century at least a few will succeed in becoming independent.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
How are many separatist movements still ongoing?

Belgium
Scotland
Catalonia
Croatia
Silesia
Faroes
Basques
Corsica
Savoy
Occitania
Chechnya
Ruthenia
Quebec
Greenland
Zapatista
Puerto Rico

Those are just in the western cultural areas... lots more in other parts of the world. I'd guess in another century at least a few will succeed in becoming independent.
I see only like 2-3 of these succeeding. I think Scotland is the most probable. Catalonia's possible. A majority of Puerto Ricans wants to become a state in the US because statehood in the US offers them more autonomy than they currently have.

Jun 2015
UK
about 70 a piece in Africa and Europe by the end of the century. Northern Nigeria may secede from the Yoruba/Igbo southern/Christian areas.

Bavaria, Scotland, Wales, Walloonia/Flanders, Northern Italy, Gibraltar, Catalonia, Paris, and the Ruhr may all be independent. Maybe a few US states may secede too, as could Quebec. Korea may ultimately unite, as may the PRC and ROC in China. I think some countries may merge, such as Polynesian states, or some of the southern US states.

Dec 2017
Romania
As far as Europe goes I think that Catalonia and Scotland will become independent and that Romania and Moldova will reunite. Those are the most plausible changes that I can foresee. Maybe a split in Belgium also, I'm not sure.

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
We are already to some degree able to see the consequences of earlier waves of independence. While most of them were hard to avoid without much bloodshed it is not that clear that the "new" states were overall such successes. There is also a question: When we see they became independent, why then did so many of their inhabitants see their only way of getting a better future in other countries. Often their former "masters" or alternatively in other western european countries. A bit like saying:"Long live the independent country of X,that finally got rid of its former rulers. So, what to do after? Get Out! The sooner the better."

Similar History Discussions