21st Century Italy isots to 406 AD

Sep 2017
United States
Imagine 5th Century Roman reaction to the fact that a country named Turkey now occupies Byzantium and that Constantinople is now Istanbul? There is also the issue of disease. Keeping 5th century Italy isolated for awhile at least not only protects their culture from the shock of the 21st century, it also protects the modern world from diseases long eradicated that modern people no longer have a natural immunity to like small pox. Imagine that same hapless German tourist driving to the town of Mediolanum contracting some disease then driving back to Germany and spreading it. You'll have a major catastrophe.

Historians and cultural anthropologists would all be clamoring to observe the Romans in their natural environment. Also imagine the reaction of 1.2 billion Roman Catholics around the world when they realize that Pope Innocent I is now their leader.
I think the Romans would at first be way more enamored with the new technology and societal standards of the globe, but then come to grips with the fact that their Eastern counterpart is long dead. Of course after coming to grips with the fact that they themselves weren't slated to last much longer in their own timeline.

Sep 2017
United States
Also, I guess this means most of Italy's natural resources are restored, at least the ones harvested in more modern times.

Oct 2015
California
I think the Romans would at first be way more enamored with the new technology and societal standards of the globe, but then come to grips with the fact that their Eastern counterpart is long dead. Of course after coming to grips with the fact that they themselves weren't slated to last much longer in their own timeline.
Also modern Italy is at the center of the migrant crisis, I wonder how the Roman authorities of 5th Century Italy would deal with this issue, and the fact that the northern barbarians of Gauls and Germans are so much more advanced technologically now?

Sep 2017
United States
Also modern Italy is at the center of the migrant crisis, I wonder how the Roman authorities of 5th Century Italy would deal with this issue, and the fact that the northern barbarians of Gauls and Germans are so much more advanced technologically now?
Good point.

The system modern Italy had in place would obviously be gone, so all of the sudden migrants would be flooding in. The migrants would be confused to find the Romans for sure. The Romans might think them another nomadic tribe at first, but the lack of weaponry and civil infrastructure might tip them off early that they weren't.

I reckon it would be pretty scary to be a limitanei patrolling northern Italy and finding a weird black road with giant metal carts speeding down it.

Oct 2015
California
Good point.

The system modern Italy had in place would obviously be gone, so all of the sudden migrants would be flooding in. The migrants would be confused to find the Romans for sure. The Romans might think them another nomadic tribe at first, but the lack of weaponry and civil infrastructure might tip them off early that they weren't.
Come to think of it, North Africa was a Roman province, and its people were Roman citizens. The Romans would wonder what kind of catastrophe has happened that so many of their Roman citizens from Syria, Libya and even Egypt are escaping to Italy? From a larger security perspective, it probably won't take long for ISIS to figure out that a backdoor into Europe has just opened, in that case the EU would cetainly see no choice but to intervene.

I reckon it would be pretty scary to be a limitanei patrolling northern Italy and finding a weird black road with giant metal carts speeding down it.
This reminds me of the movie "Just Visiting."

Last edited: