30.5 m. long viking ship being buildt

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
A sweet ship and some beautiful photos. The sagas talk about battles on the decks of these ships but they are hard to imagine without the deck being laid out in front of you. There is a surprising amount of flat open space (obviously there would be more clutter with a crew and all their gear and supplies aboard).

Those shields need painting. Suggest bringing in some art students from the local schools to have a go. It is a good way to get the locals invested in the project. The hull needs painting as well. There is textual and pictorial evidence for brightly painted hulls. I don't know whether any extant hull fragments have traces of paint on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichon
Oct 2015
Norway
I imagine the boxes the crew used as benches and used to store their kit would be standing where they left them when they stopped rowing, but there is a lot of space.
The local population is very much involved. Nearby Bjørkedal is probably the strongest center in Norway for building ships from wood, especially large ones. The ship was constructed and drawn by a man in his 90's from Bjørkedal and shipbuilders from that valley. The oars, dragon head, "ship boxes" (can't think of a better English word) and shields were made by local craftsmen. At first they'll buy a sail made from modern materials, but in time local weavers will make a sail in the old way.

Oct 2015
Norway
I found two amazing photos of a new replica ship that's even larger than the Myklebust ship - "Dragen Harald Hårfagre" ("The Dragon Harald Fairhair") It's just beautiful and very iconic.

Last edited: