40 images of captured Sherman tanks in German hands!

Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Thanks for those pics, Belloc.

Given the choice between a Sherman and a Panther, these men have gone for the latter.

A Panther tank, appropriately named "Cuckoo" in use by the Coldstream Guards in 1944;

Last edited:

Belloc

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
USA
Thanks for those pics, Belloc.

Given the choice between a Sherman and a Panther, these men have gone for the latter.

A Panther tank, appropriately named "Cuckoo" in use by the Coldstream Guards in 1944;

How common was it for the Allies to use captured German tanks?

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
not very, cuckoo didnt last long in service becaue we didnt have the spares.

Vehicles got reused in rear lines such as kubelwagens and trucks but we were never short enough of vehicles that the significant risk of friendly fire was worth it.

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
Do we actually know of any incidents of fatal friendly fire?
I know you're thinking in terms of mistaking the tank for Germans, but generally, I think there was certainly a bit through Normandy following the break out from the beaches. Typhoon fighters were being kept up in the air as much as possible and the pilots got pretty gung-ho for a while. They were not as tight on identifying their targets as they could have been with all the adrenaline flowing (that was the thought anyway). I remember one Brit vet in an interview commenting that they were chopped up four days in a row by them. Anecdotal, obviously.

Last edited:
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
In the book Flamethrower, by Andrew Wilson, the author recounts how someone salvaged an abandoned Panther in Normandy and was using it, but was ordered to get rid of it lest it cause a friendly fire incident. I can't recall the details. Maybe someone who has the book can look it up.

Similar History Discussions