5 $billion fee for Facebook

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
The last thing the world needs is a shady currency run by a shady corporation... its a recipe for a major financial crisis
Yeah, but I bet you $500 in libra crypto coins that they will push it through... and that the shade will be epic.

They also say that their coin will help law enforcement, which basically means that they can have your account with all your cash frozen in the event that anyone wanted to investigate.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
FTC to fine Facebook about $5 billion for user-privacy violations, report says

This can sound enormous, but FB had already saved the money to pay the fee [you know businessmen ...].

The relevant point is social: privacy is not a tantrum, it's a right.

In my opinion 5 $billion is a ridiculous fee for FB. But it's important to endorse the principle that privacy is a real right of the individual.
In my job, we regularly deal with big Fortune 100 companies who have gotten nailed with billion dollar fines. They're out clients amd our job is trying to limit their risk.*

ITS A HUGE DEAL. At a minimum it destroys what would be a healthy quarter (the only thing the corp types care about), and in the case of Facebook it attacked their entire business model. This sort of thing gets c-levels fired, it gets stock holders to cut ties, it causes exodus of employees who find greener and safer pastures. It means no Xmas bonus for majority of company, it means a whole lot of working more hours to try to recoup some money. It means a desperate ploy to release a new product, even if it's not operational. It means blowing tens of millions on PR campaign to save the logo/brand.

And if they don't change, they'll get hit with another fine. And another. And another.

*Facebook isn't one of our clients, but we have a good chunk of Silicon Valley.

Reactions: Ichon

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
In my job, we regularly deal with big Fortune 100 companies who have gotten nailed with billion dollar fines. They're out clients amd our job is trying to limit their risk.*

ITS A HUGE DEAL. At a minimum it destroys what would be a healthy quarter (the only thing the corp types care about), and in the case of Facebook it attacked their entire business model. This sort of thing gets c-levels fired, it gets stock holders to cut ties, it causes exodus of employees who find greener and safer pastures. It means no Xmas bonus for majority of company, it means a whole lot of working more hours to try to recoup some money. It means a desperate ploy to release a new product, even if it's not operational. It means blowing tens of millions on PR campaign to save the logo/brand.

And if they don't change, they'll get hit with another fine. And another. And another.

*Facebook isn't one of our clients, but we have a good chunk of Silicon Valley.
One reason that I stay away from Google search is the tracking issue; I much prefer duckduckgo for privacy purposes alone.
Facebook is functional and fun to a certain extent.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Facebook's Libra cryptocurrency is now dead. Paypal, Ebay, Stripe, Visa, and Mastercard have all abondoned it. It can't succeed without these anchor companies supporting it.

Last edited:
Oct 2019
United States
Maybe one morning I'll wake up and read that social media has tanked because people have stopped being attention mongers.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Facebook's Libra cryptocurrency is now dead. Paypal, Ebay, Stripe, Visa, and Mastercard have all abondoned it. It can't succeed without these anchor companies supporting it.
Why the plan isn't going to thrive or fly?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Facebook is losing its sheen, now a days we only see more ad or useless posts instead of what your friend is posting.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
FTC to fine Facebook about $5 billion for user-privacy violations, report says

This can sound enormous, but FB had already saved the money to pay the fee [you know businessmen ...].

The relevant point is social: privacy is not a tantrum, it's a right.

In my opinion 5 $billion is a ridiculous fee for FB. But it's important to endorse the principle that privacy is a real right of the individual.
If you choose to entrust your privacy to the likes of FB you have to accept the risks. It’s not like they charge us for their service.