500 years Reformation Day today

Sep 2013
Ulster
When Luther nailed his 95 theses to the church door at Wittenberg it was the start of giving people a freedom that has continued to this day. But lets not forget there were others who played a part in bringing this about

Oct 2017
Laconia
I thank him and his associates for paving a rebellious path that has become the decline of Christianity, which I hope ethnic polytheism can replace.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
When Luther nailed his 95 theses to the church door at Wittenberg it was the start of giving people a freedom that has continued to this day. But lets not forget there were others who played a part in bringing this about
Yes, his freedom-loving spirit really showed during the Great Peasants' revolt. While I do understand Luther's point in opposing the rebellion, it is undeniable that the consequences of said rebellion were pretty negative for the ordinary peasants.

Sep 2013
Ulster
When Martin Luther nailed 95 criticisms of the Catholic Church to the door of his local church in 1517 he sparked not just a religious Reformation, but an unending cycle of political, social and economic change that continues to this day.

By challenging the authority of the Pope, Luther inadvertently unleashed a revolutionary force: the power of the individual to determine his or her own thoughts and actions. Over four centuries later, the Protestant minister Martin Luther King Jr was acting on the same revolutionary principle when he rejected racial discrimination and spearheaded the US Civil Rights Movement.

Although it might not be immediately obvious in our apparently secular age, the legacy of the Reformation is all around us. From literature to science, from gay marriage to the ' War on Terror ', a vibrant struggle for Protestant principles is alive in Britain, America and the developing world.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
By challenging the authority of the Pope
While I won't go into discussion about whether or not what you wrote is true, I want to mention that Lutherans weren't the first or even the first widely accepted anti-Papists. The Orthodox challenged the authority of the Pope five centuries before Luther. :cool:

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Reformation Day is an official state holiday in Slovenia, more or less work-free. Yet on this day we, rather than Luther and his 95 points, remember the work of Slovene protestants of the second half of the 16th century. People like Primož Trubar, a protestant priest who printed the first books in our language in 1550, Jurij Dalmatin, who translated the Bible into Slovene in 1584 (making us the 12th nation with the Bible translated in their language), Adam Bohorič, who wrote Slovene grammar and Hieronim Megiser, the author of the first Slovene dictionary. The counter reformation was very successful in the Slovene Lands in the 17th century, protestants had to convert back to catholicism or leave. Today only about 0.8 % of our populations are Lutherans, but we still remember and cherish the work and contributions of those 16th century protestants. It is very important to us.

Sep 2013
Ulster
While I won't go into discussion about whether or not what you wrote is true, I want to mention that Lutherans weren't the first or even the first widely accepted anti-Papists. The Orthodox challenged the authority of the Pope five centuries before Luther. :cool:
Yes I know. Hus was burnt at the stake 100 years before Luther and there were others who disagreed with Rome but Luther with his action of nailing the theses to the church door got the attention. He was also helped by the emergence of the printing press which spread his message.

Sep 2013
Ulster
Reformation Day is an official state holiday in Slovenia, more or less work-free. Yet on this day we, rather than Luther and his 95 points, remember the work of Slovene protestants of the second half of the 16th century. People like Primož Trubar, a protestant priest who printed the first books in our language in 1550, Jurij Dalmatin, who translated the Bible into Slovene in 1584 (making us the 12th nation with the Bible translated in their language), Adam Bohorič, who wrote Slovene grammar and Hieronim Megiser, the author of the first Slovene dictionary. The counter reformation was very successful in the Slovene Lands in the 17th century, protestants had to convert back to catholicism or leave. Today only about 0.8 % of our populations are Lutherans, but we still remember and cherish the work and contributions of those 16th century protestants. It is very important to us.
Shtajerc thanks for that information. It is something I knew absolutely nothing about.

I read recently in a magazine that Wittenberg today is just 12% Protestant.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Shtajerc thanks for that information. It is something I knew absolutely nothing about.

I read recently in a magazine that Wittenberg today is just 12% Protestant.
My pleasure.

It's probably not that surprising, less and less Europeans are religious. Slovenia used to be more than 95 % Catholic after ww1, it now sank to 57 %. I think that the drop is even bigger for Protestants due to the nature of their religion(s).

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
There always were protest against the church many abuse
one could mention john Wycliff , whole section of his bible were recycled in the Authorized version

during the 14th and 15th century the church was split with two or even three popes
it stood on the brink of being run by general councils , some form of ecclesiastical democracy

then as papal power was resurgent , the Church dodgy practices and wealth grew to fantastic proportion
the Borgias were quite lurid in their abuses , also quite public in flaunting it

ultimately so much wealth and arrogance with so little real muscle was bound to attract predators and reformers

It went from sincere believers like Melanchton to pirates like Albert of Brandenburg ansbach , grand master of the Teutonic knights who cooling privatized the order into a duchy with him as the new duke ,
the order was bound to obey him , the knights became land-based Junkers and the whole of Christendom was shocked by such robbery