A Chinese-North Korean War in 1979

Mar 2019
Kansas
Such a war never would have happened. China is North Korea's strongest ally and in many ways its patron. Their relationship is sort of like one of a patron-client state.
Initially yes, but from the mid 60s onwards the relationship really deteriorated and North Korea moved into a more Soviet orbit, getting the majority of their arms and aid from the Soviets

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Such a war never would have happened. China is North Korea's strongest ally and in many ways its patron. Their relationship is sort of like one of a patron-client state.
If NK decided to support Vietnam in Cambodia in 1979, though, then China's attitude towards NK might have changed.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
If NK decided to support Vietnam in Cambodia in 1979, though, then China's attitude towards NK might have changed.
Still, I don't think China would have necessarily attacked North Korea. Relations still would have soured, but I think China would have focused militarily upon Vietnam. North Korea is too important for China's regional strategic aims for the Chinese to attack outright. They need North Korea to assist with keeping Japanese and American interests in check.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Still, I don't think China would have necessarily attacked North Korea. Relations still would have soured, but I think China would have focused militarily upon Vietnam. North Korea is too important for China's regional strategic aims for the Chinese to attack outright. They need North Korea to assist with keeping Japanese and American interests in check.
But could they have resisted the urge to replace a Soviet allied state with their own rump state?

The whole thing was an odd war. China marched in slapped Vietnam around for two weeks, and simply left. I mean years later they got around to signing treaties and such, but neither side gained anything traditional associated with a war.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
But could they have resisted the urge to replace a Soviet allied state with their own rump state?
Maybe not.

The whole thing was an odd war. China marched in slapped Vietnam around for two weeks, and simply left. I mean years later they got around to signing treaties and such, but neither side gained anything traditional associated with a war.
Didn't China get its butt kicked by Vietnam in this war, though?

Mar 2019
Kansas
Didn't China get its butt kicked by Vietnam in this war, though?
Depends whos propaganda you read I guess. Both sides claim decisive victory. On the face of it I think China did pretty well given the Vietnamese counter attacks only slowed the Chinese advance rather than push them back.

The Chinese claimed mission accomplished and left, that easily could have been them simply noticing the Vietnamese were getting serious and they just wanted to save face.