A different arrangement for Palestine and Jordan after the end of WWI

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think the logic is that the Jews were not responsible for their expulsion from Palestine 2,000 years ago. Still, I understand why the Palestinian Arab population did not want to be either displaced or outnumbered by Jews.

Also, your point about Zionism and colonialism is very well-taken, pugsville. Just like various other ethnic groups, Jews felt that they should have control of their own destiny--without necessarily viewing other groups as equals.

In addition to this, the way things are heading right now, there's a very real chance that Israel will eventually outright annex the West Bank. This should cause its Arab population to increase from around 20% to around 40%.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
In addition to this, the way things are heading right now, there's a very real chance that Israel will eventually outright annex the West Bank. This should cause its Arab population to increase from around 20% to around 40%.
Very doubtful, Israel knows its a number game. That's why their rounding out their settlements in the west bank to make enclaves that reach the border. They are even building walls around them as a de facto border. Some Palestinians believe its a number game and all they have to do is wait and they will be the majority.

Shaheen

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Sweden
Western Iraq is sparsely populated. Further if Palestinians and Jordanians are going to be placed together with some other Arab group in order to inflate their numbers and create a balance with Jews, then Lebanese and Syrians should be the first choice given the similarities in their dialects, culture and cuisine (bilad assham nations basically).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Western Iraq is sparsely populated. Further if Palestinians and Jordanians are going to be placed together with some other Arab group in order to inflate their numbers and create a balance with Jews, then Lebanese and Syrians should be the first choice given the similarities in their dialects, culture and cuisine (bilad assham nations basically).
Completely agreed, but I doubt that France would be willing to give up either Lebanon or Syria.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Very doubtful, Israel knows its a number game. That's why their rounding out their settlements in the west bank to make enclaves that reach the border. They are even building walls around them as a de facto border. Some Palestinians believe its a number game and all they have to do is wait and they will be the majority.
I agree. Israel won't annex the West Bank as long as there is an Arab majority there.

If another major, global war occurred, then that might give Israel the opportunity to push the Arabs out of the West Bank and then annex it. I don't see that happening any time soon, so, I think Israel's best bet is to slowly keep building the settlements, it allows them to grab more land but at the same time they aren't properly annexing anything so they don't have to give any voting rights to non-Jews.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I think the logic is that the Jews were not responsible for their expulsion from Palestine 2,000 years ago. S.
How is that relevant. We going tio be seeking redress for "crimes" from 2,000 years ago,?
There's a LOT of movement of peoples that can be claimed to involuntary. What evidence. Hoard cold Evidence that the Jews were expelled?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
How is that relevant. We going tio be seeking redress for "crimes" from 2,000 years ago,?
There's a LOT of movement of peoples that can be claimed to involuntary. What evidence. Hoard cold Evidence that the Jews were expelled?
Are you suggesting that the Zionist/Jewish narrative in regards to this is wrong?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Israel's Jewish total fertility rate has increased by over half a child over the last 20 years, though. Indeed, when it comes to fertility, Israeli Jews aren't looking so bad.

Also, a lot might depend on just how many Israeli Jews will settle deep in the West Bank--such as in the Jordan Valley and Dead Sea Valley. If most of the Israeli settler population will be located near Israel's borders, a two-state solution would still be viable. Else, it would be harder.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I agree. Israel won't annex the West Bank as long as there is an Arab majority there.

If another major, global war occurred, then that might give Israel the opportunity to push the Arabs out of the West Bank and then annex it. I don't see that happening any time soon, so, I think Israel's best bet is to slowly keep building the settlements, it allows them to grab more land but at the same time they aren't properly annexing anything so they don't have to give any voting rights to non-Jews.
The fact that Israel hasn't annexed the West Bank yet hasn't prevented various critics of Israel from calling it an apartheid state, though.