A Eurocentric Fool

Oct 2009
One can mention that Zheng He and his fleet made some impression on Indonesia too. Among other things he routed Zheng Ziyi and his pirate fleet, and later he also interfered in a local conflict and brought a leader home to China for execution. Also a result of Zheng Hes (and others) travels were that several Chinese emigrants and traders settled both in Malacca and Indonesia. In both these places Zheng He is still venerated and there are even temples erected to his honour.

The great admiral Zheng He

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
Alright jesus...bring on all the books about the entire world. LETS DO IT
Don't forget the history of the Americas. Without that part, you will miss half the civilizations of the world. Good books to start are the chronicles of the Conquest. Read Hernan Cortes' letters to the King. An authentic document whose author is Cortes himself.

plutoboyz

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Hinterland
Oh well....Putoboyz...everybody like to study China....not our region. *sniff sniff* Guess I will listen to some peaceful Sundanese gamelan

and drink a cool air kelapa
well He wanted to study Asia right? you can't write Asia history without SouthEast Asia and Sundanese:)
also Pajajaran Kingdom has a strong connection to the chinese and the mongol.

May I suggest some link to degung (Sundanese gamelan)?

Bismarck

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
rangiora
I too take a 'eurocentric' view of history. Firstly, because it is my culture, the culture I was born into, so naturally I am drawn to it. Secondly, because the vast majority of literature is in my own language - everything gets translated into english, or more so than any other language. Thirdly, becasue European history is better documented than any other place. The literature is vast and the primary documents numerous. And fourthly, becasue europe's impact has been felt worldwide and therefore, in the modern era, european history is crucial to an understanding of the world.

However, it was precisely because of this natural bias that I chose to study some non-European subjects at university. I dont know if this strategy really did broaden my horizons or not, but I assume it cant hurt to learn something of different cultures. Now, I have come full circle as I have returned to european history with renewed vigour.

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
So! The point of this thread really is to ask my esteemed forum colleagues to suggest books, articles, movies perhaps, generally anything about Asia that you find interesting and pass it along, I'm interested in anything and everything, its just very hard to find good Asian books.
To start, you may want to have a look at books from National Geography.

crossroadclarence

Ad Honorem
Oct 2007
Borneo~ that big Island in S.E. ASIA
I admit: Not much to draw from when you don't live here.

I'll let our Chinese and Korean members help you, but if you are interested in SE Asia, let me know....(that's Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand etc...)