A forensic examination of the death of Jennie Wade - the only civilian killed during the Battle of Gettysburg

What a clever reading between the lines. I'll take you with me to Smuttynose any day!
Thank you Duncanness. Ironically, Maine is the only New England state I haven't been to. I am a multi-disciplined scientist and artist, so when I run into an enigma, I simply switch perspectives on how to address it - the Jennie Wade research is an example of combining science and art. Never stop exploring - even well travelled areas. Case in point - the two ancient calendar discovery papers that I posted earlier in this thread to Mando and the work that eventually resulted in the Jennie Wade paper all derived from my first trip to Gettysburg (c. 2013) to learn about the battle. All I did was keep my eyes open and observe. If you're interested in reading more, you can search me out on LinkedIn if you know what that is and have an account. Thanks again for your kind comment.

Jun 2017
maine
There are a good many disparities. I'm pretty certain that I know who "did it". Watch out for the accolades that the web source in Portsmouth gives to the book that concludes that Wagner was guilty after all: the person behind the website and the author of the book are one-and-the-same. I have a freedom of information request in for the original trial transcripts--if you have a newspaper database, you can pick up a good many summaries.

There are a good many disparities. I'm pretty certain that I know who "did it". Watch out for the accolades that the web source in Portsmouth gives to the book that concludes that Wagner was guilty after all: the person behind the website and the author of the book are one-and-the-same. I have a freedom of information request in for the original trial transcripts--if you have a newspaper database, you can pick up a good many summaries.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I've already applied several scientific approaches to reconstruct the scene and the results are perplexing. So either the accounts are tainted (and wouldn't that be a surprise - not) or there is more info to tease from the accounts. Either way, it looks like this will be a nice little side study. Have an amazing day.

Hello Duncanness. I was able to delve deeper into the murder mystery and wondered whether the lunar phase, currents, weather, and tests were performed to determine whether it was possible to row to the island from the harbor in five (or fewer) hours and if there were witnesses that saw Wagner "return." Apparently, all those queries were addressed by other researchers. Those details, and additional information, appear to support the determination that Wagner was the murderer. Even so, my modeling of the lunar phase and its altitude around 1 am on March 6 implies that it would not have provided sufficient light for Wagner to locate one his victims (so perhaps it must have been her snow prints) or for his identification. I would be interested in hearing about the disparities you have discovered. Perhaps I can look into them and we can exchange notes if you're up for that. You can drop me a note if you would like to at least consider doing so (Antongeoresearch@gmail.com).

Jun 2019
United States
Very interesting article and leads to some very interesting thoughts about the entire war. I think we forget that this war took place in the backyards of our towns and cities. How many civilians got caught in the cross hairs during this tragic war? I remember reading about the civilian that was killed during the Battle Of Bull Run, I cant remember her name, but I think it was a cannon that killed her.

Very interesting article and leads to some very interesting thoughts about the entire war. I think we forget that this war took place in the backyards of our towns and cities. How many civilians got caught in the cross hairs during this tragic war? I remember reading about the civilian that was killed during the Battle Of Bull Run, I cant remember her name, but I think it was a cannon that killed her.
Thank you for you kind words WarWolfeX. You bring up an excellent point too.

Similar History Discussions