A funny propaganda poster from the era of the French Revolution

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
View attachment 20396

I love how equality is presented as a bad thing. :winktongue:
I think the idea is that a measure of hierarchy is necessary to a peaceful, ordered and prosperous society, and that when the pursuit of equality become a primary aim, that generally beneficial order will be undermined.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I love how equality is presented as a bad thing. :winktongue:
I think the idea is that a measure of hierarchy is necessary to a peaceful, ordered and prosperous society, and that when the pursuit of equality become a primary aim, that generally beneficial order will be undermined.
I also note inheritance and protection of property are listed on the British side. I assume this propaganda is aimed at people who have little property to inherit or protect so the maker of the poster may have missed the mark. Did this propagandist really expect people with no property to fight for those who did have property? Is that the message he intended to send? There's no argument that the British working classes did support their government against Revolutionary and Imperial France. I'm just wondering if there could have been a better propaganda message. Maybe not mentioning the property or inheritance angles?

And compare national prosperity vs national and private ruin. The British propagandist is not promising private prosperity to Brittons. Again, the message I infer is that the British working classes are expected to sacrifice for the benefit of the upper classes.

Reactions: Futurist

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I also note inheritance and protection of property are listed on the British side. I assume this propaganda is aimed at people who have little property to inherit or protect so the maker of the poster may have missed the mark. Did this propagandist really expect people with no property to fight for those who did have property? Is that the message he intended to send? There's no argument that the British working classes did support their government against Revolutionary and Imperial France. I'm just wondering if there could have been a better propaganda message. Maybe not mentioning the property or inheritance angles?

And compare national prosperity vs national and private ruin. The British propagandist is not promising private prosperity to Brittons. Again, the message I infer is that the British working classes are expected to sacrifice for the benefit of the upper classes.
I doubt that this would have been aimed at people at the lowest levels of society, labourers in town or country and the like, since they would not have had threepence to spare for buying prints; and people at the next highest level with some property would probably have thought that they had a stake in the system?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Religion and Atheism are also interesting ''points'' in the poster. As for equality its ''good counter'' on the British side seems to be inheritance, maybe it was referring to the noblemen and their fate.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I doubt that this would have been aimed at people at the lowest levels of society, labourers in town or country and the like, since they would not have had threepence to spare for buying prints; and people at the next highest level with some property would probably have thought that they had a stake in the system?
I didn't notice the price. How do you get people to buy propaganda? Don't you pretty much have to give it away to ensure maximum distribution?

I don't know what literacy rates were like at that time and place. Probably still some illiteracy at the lowest levels of society, but this doesn't seem aimed at the upper classes. It's too crude. You might be right. Three pence might suggest some stake in the system.