A Jewish national homeland in the Baltics

Oct 2012
There was plenty of available land in Latvia and Estonia to go around--as evidenced by the massive Slavic settlement there in the post-WWII years and decades.

Sure, your solution would have been the fair one in regards to this. Still, getting Middle Eastern and North African Jews to move en masse to a Jewish state which was located in Germany might be a bit of a problem.
But Estonia would be fine for them?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
But Estonia would be fine for them?
No, it obviously wouldn't. However, please keep in mind that there would be much more surviving Eastern European Ashkenazi Jews in a scenario where Germany wins WWI. In real life, Israel needed to replenish its Jewish population with Arab World Jews because most Eastern European Jews were murdered in the Holocaust.

Oct 2012
So lets recap your plan.

Germany would annex Estonia/Latvia and form a homeland for Jews.
Mainly Eastern-Europen jews will be invaited to move to this new Jewish homeland.
They will then intermarry with the local germanic population and germanize themselves.
It will not be a Jewish State as such, but a German protectorate.(Would they be full German citizens? Can they leave this new Jewish homeland and move somewhere else within the German reich?)
The local Latvians and Estonians will accept this new situation and the dominance of these newly formed Germanic jews, because it gould be worse.
Can you see this working?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
So lets recap your plan.

Germany would annex Estonia/Latvia and form a homeland for Jews.
Mainly Eastern-Europen jews will be invaited to move to this new Jewish homeland.
They will then intermarry with the local germanic population and germanize themselves.
It will not be a Jewish State as such, but a German protectorate.
Yep.

(Would they be full German citizens? Can they leave this new Jewish homeland and move somewhere else within the German reich?)
Yep--at least if the Germans were smart about this, which I admit is a big if.

The local Latvians and Estonians will accept this new situation and the dominance of these newly formed Germanic jews, because it gould be worse.
Can you see this working?
Out of your entire post, the last part seems like the main problem with this. I mean, there's a lot of available land in both Latvia and Estonia, but the Latvians and Estonians might very well object if their state has either a German or a Jewish flavor.

Oct 2012
Yep.

Yep--at least if the Germans were smart about this, which I admit is a big if.

Out of your entire post, the last part seems like the main problem with this. I mean, there's a lot of available land in both Latvia and Estonia, but the Latvians and Estonians might very well object if their state has either a German or a Jewish flavor.
Well, if it is to be a Jewish homeland then it probaly would have a Jewis flavor.
I see couple of more problems: If the jews invited to live in Baltics would be full German citizens what make them to stay in that Baltic Jewish homeland? I mean there might be more opportunities for them in Berlin or Hamburg than in Tallinn?
So the whole thing would in the end be: Lets invite the Eastern European Jews to live in Germany. Also, I cannot really see much of intermarrying happening between the Baltic Germans and the newly arrived Eastern European Jews.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, if it is to be a Jewish homeland then it probaly would have a Jewis flavor.
Agreed.

I see couple of more problems: If the jews invited to live in Baltics would be full German citizens what make them to stay in that Baltic Jewish homeland? I mean there might be more opportunities for them in Berlin or Hamburg than in Tallinn?
Excellent point, and the same might also eventually be true of any Russian Germans which are resettled in Latvia and Estonia.

So the whole thing would in the end be: Lets invite the Eastern European Jews to live in Germany.
Yep. :)

Also, I cannot really see much of intermarrying happening between the Baltic Germans and the newly arrived Eastern European Jews.
Would this be due to a feeling of superiority among the Baltic Germans?

Similar History Discussions