A map of the world's cities/urban areas by population from 1950 to 2035

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I wanted to share this map with everyone here because I thought that it was pretty interesting:

World City Populations Interactive Map 1950-2035

Basically, it's an interactive map that shows the population in various cities worldwide (and there are hundreds or even thousands of them on this map) in 1950, 1990, 2015, and 2035. This map also shows both the national ranking and the global ranking for each of its cities in these specific years. It's extremely interesting.

Also, this website as a whole is pretty cool since it also contains an extremely detailed interactive population density map of the world as well as an interactive urban dynamics map of the UK:

LuminoCity3D - Urban Data Visualisations by Duncan Smith

I would highly advise everyone here to check out these interactive maps--since, as I said, they are pretty cool! :) BTW, if anyone here has any thoughts on any of these maps, please feel free to share them with us here! :)

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I wanted to share this map with everyone here because I thought that it was pretty interesting:

World City Populations Interactive Map 1950-2035

Basically, it's an interactive map that shows the population in various cities worldwide (and there are hundreds or even thousands of them on this map) in 1950, 1990, 2015, and 2035. This map also shows both the national ranking and the global ranking for each of its cities in these specific years. It's extremely interesting.

Also, this website as a whole is pretty cool since it also contains an extremely detailed interactive population density map of the world as well as an interactive urban dynamics map of the UK:

LuminoCity3D - Urban Data Visualisations by Duncan Smith

I would highly advise everyone here to check out these interactive maps--since, as I said, they are pretty cool! :) BTW, if anyone here has any thoughts on any of these maps, please feel free to share them with us here! :)
Those are really great maps.

Thank you.

I'm amazed at the effort required to pull that off.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Those are really great maps.

Thank you.

I'm amazed at the effort required to pull that off.
You are very welcome! :)

BTW, I'm not the one who actually made these maps. Rather, the owner of that website--whomever that is--is likely the one who made all of these maps. :)

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Can you please elaborate on this? I mean, this does seem like a rather bizarre statement.
Cancer
runaway growth of part of an organism above what is functional , the organism doesn't react to it as it is a quantitative change of an otherwise healthy component

from Australia cancer council definition
"Normally cells grow and multiply in a controlled way, however, if something causes a mistake to occur in the cells' genetic blueprints, this control can be lost. Cancer is the term used to describe collections of these cells, growing and potentially spreading within the body. As cancerous cells can arise from almost any type of tissue cell, cancer actually refers to about 100 different diseases.
Cancer cells that do not spread beyond the immediate area in which they arise are said to be benign ie. they are not dangerous. If these cells spread into surrounding areas, or to different parts of the body, they are known as malignant - commonly referred to as cancer."

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I want to share a couple of additional interesting maps with everyone here:

An animated map of US cities by population from 1790 to 1890 (with data for the start of each decade between 1790 and 1890):

Increasing Urbanization

A map of the largest cities in the Soviet Union in 1989, another map of the population change (in terms of total numbers) for ex-USSR cities between 1989 and 2016, and the data for both of these maps are all located here:

Biggest Soviet cities

Hopefully at least someone here finds these maps to be interesting! :)

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Cancer
runaway growth of part of an organism above what is functional , the organism doesn't react to it as it is a quantitative change of an otherwise healthy component

from Australia cancer council definition
"Normally cells grow and multiply in a controlled way, however, if something causes a mistake to occur in the cells' genetic blueprints, this control can be lost. Cancer is the term used to describe collections of these cells, growing and potentially spreading within the body. As cancerous cells can arise from almost any type of tissue cell, cancer actually refers to about 100 different diseases.
Cancer cells that do not spread beyond the immediate area in which they arise are said to be benign ie. they are not dangerous. If these cells spread into surrounding areas, or to different parts of the body, they are known as malignant - commonly referred to as cancer."

In other metaphorics it has the pattern of hive building by social insects. Humans are the only vertebrate species that has show an ability to live in concentrations and proximities equalling those of bees or ants.
Largest colony of ants

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
An interesting aspect of this change in individual agglomeration is that the male behavior become anti-social for very large colonies
the male confrontational behavior has to be controlled or suppressed

the future is to have only drones workers/consumers