A Mitanni palace has been discovered in Iraq

dreamregent

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
Coastal Florida
Mitanni was considered a peer of the other great powers in the region during the 2nd millennium BC (for a time). I hope this excavation bears fruit. It would be very nice to have more from this culture because, as it stands, we really don't have much. Here's to hoping the cuneiform tablets they found give us something significant, at least. Apparently, it's a small sample but is it too much to hope for further illumination of their cultural proximity to Indo-Aryan peoples or related cultures from surrounding regions?

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/iraq-palace-drought-scli-intl/index.html

Iraq's drought unveils 3,400-year-old palace of mysterious empire | DW | 28.06.2019

Archaeologists uncover ancient palace of the Mittani Empire in Kurdistan Region

Archaeologists uncover palace of the Mittani Empire in the Duhok province of the Kurdistan Region/ Iraq

Iraq's drought unveils 3,400-year-old palace of mysterious empire - Egypt Independent

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Mitanni was considered a peer of the other great powers in the region during the 2nd millennium BC (for a time). I hope this excavation bears fruit. It would be very nice to have more from this culture because, as it stands, we really don't have much. Here's to hoping the cuneiform tablets they found give us something significant, at least. Apparently, it's a small sample but is it too much to hope for further illumination of their cultural proximity to Indo-Aryan peoples or related cultures from surrounding regions?

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/iraq-palace-drought-scli-intl/index.html

Iraq's drought unveils 3,400-year-old palace of mysterious empire | DW | 28.06.2019

Archaeologists uncover ancient palace of the Mittani Empire in Kurdistan Region

Archaeologists uncover palace of the Mittani Empire in the Duhok province of the Kurdistan Region/ Iraq

Iraq's drought unveils 3,400-year-old palace of mysterious empire - Egypt Independent
I'm going to read these articles: 3,400 years means that the palace existed around the Amarna Period, when between Egypt and Mitanni there was an alive relationship [with Mitanni Princesses going to Egypt to become Royal Wives of the Lords of the Two Lands or, as they wrote, of the Bee and the Sedge].