A painted cave in Baja California: San Borjitas

Oct 2014
California
Last month, I had the pleasure to visit one of Baja California's most spectacular painted caves. This one, San Borjitas has been dated to 7,500 years ago. It seems to depict a battle based on all the figures pierced with arrows. The ceiling panel is over 50 feet wide and averages about 15 feet overhead. It is located 18 miles off Highway 1, between Santa Rosalía and Mulegé with a short walk to the cave. Permits and a guide are required. Most of the figures are larger than life...
SB-1.jpg SB-2.jpg SB-3.jpg SB-4.jpg

Here is an artist illustration of the full panel:

Attachments

Mar 2019
Kansas
Last month, I had the pleasure to visit one of Baja California's most spectacular painted caves. This one, San Borjitas has been dated to 7,500 years ago. It seems to depict a battle based on all the figures pierced with arrows. The ceiling panel is over 50 feet wide and averages about 15 feet overhead. It is located 18 miles off Highway 1, between Santa Rosalía and Mulegé with a short walk to the cave. Permits and a guide are required. Most of the figures are larger than life...

Here is an artist illustration of the full panel:
I really adore this sort of thing. Gives me a real sense of connection to see the physical presence of people so long ago!!

Oct 2014
California
I feel the same way, and especially at the old Spanish missions of Baja California. To think such massive projects were constructed 300 years ago in a land so hostile and so difficult to reach.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
You live in a land which promises a lot from a historical perspective [also from a prehistorical perspective]. I do think that international research institutes should spend some more money to run researches there.