• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Jun 2017
England
Hi,

I noticed a pattern on the ceiling of the Thai temple, Wat Ratchaburana, which has clear similarities in its pattern and style to the Nebra Sky Disk. The questions I would like to propose are 1) do you think the similarity is significant? 2) do you think the similarities suggest a common method of representing astronomical or astrological phenomena? 3) is a direct cross-cultural exchange a plausible theory?

The Thai temple was featured in the series 'Around the World in 80 Treasures' and I have embedded the appropriate screenshots. You can buy the full series featuring Dan Cruickshank, a BBC production, online. Wat Ratchaburana is in the third episode 'Australia to Cambodia,' about 42 minutes in. The attached screenshots have their respective times in their file names.
80treasures43.08.jpg 1554400016049.png
80treasures43.36.jpg

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Yeah, the horizon forms a circle around you, the sky is a dome, and every culture sees the sun, moon, stars, and planets (with some variation depending on latitude!). How else do you want all that to be depicted?

Matthew

Apr 2017
Cologne
Hi,

I noticed a pattern on the ceiling of the Thai temple, Wat Ratchaburana, which has clear similarities in its pattern and style to the Nebra Sky Disk. The questions I would like to propose are 1) do you think the similarity is significant? 2) do you think the similarities suggest a common method of representing astronomical or astrological phenomena? 3) is a direct cross-cultural exchange a plausible theory? (...)
Hey,
That is my field, Ricky. So in short – as I have no clue how old you are and what your real interest is in this and do not want to waste my time – I love to talk and write about such – do not get me wrong – but I do not want to waste energy and I do not deal in Dungeons&Dragons.^^

So to answer you questions:
I do not think the similarity is significant except to advertise that even the Thai is a human being – or the European is a human being.

In short to understand what I mean: We all live in a time of pictures. We are familiar with preservation of passed moments.
That people do not have that.
They can only see something in the moment when it happens and then it is gone forever.

So what they do, is to create pictures to freeze time. That is why they are much more authentic in their executions.
A star is a dot in the sky. Like the sun is a bigger dot in the sky (a plain). It is a display precisely how it is, no matter where you are on on our planet.

And that answers your second question: Yes. We find a lot of that similarities.
That is why we do have dragons and the Chinese have dragons. We look for similarities to real things we do know to make a comparison that are understood by everybody.

And the third should be answered with that, too.

Example: You are familiar with star-constellations. You do know that all our star-constellations do have Latin names.
You are from England. Did you had astronomy before the Romans? Astronomy serves are real purpose: To measure time.
That is why the same constellations the Romans described you find with people in England or all around the globe.
They just use different executions, because how you connect the dots at a specific time at a specific place is up to you.

(While... so closer the people are – so more similarities you will find, because they describe this with something they are familiar with.)

Here – German vs. Roman – astronomy: The Snake-bearer – was a fighting bird of prey for Germans. Very likely a bearded vulture. Because the Germans were more primitive than the Romans. They had more metaphoric progression at that time. While here Virgo the Germans pictured as girl, too.

But^^ I can show you something interesting if you are into that. Google Gundestrup cauldron bottom plate – and before you do – I give you some background info:
They connected sky-objects to a deity and an animal – based on the visibility/interaction for humans of that animal in connection to the visibility of the sky-object.
The animal for the sun is the bull. The animal for the moon is the wolf. And the lines, that look like ivy on the bottom-plate, that means light on a line. Now compare that to the Nebra disk.^^

BUT(!) – fair warning ahead: We have no clue what it means, because that symbols in that order – you do not find in nature/in reality. That is why the meaning must be metaphoric
And – at least I – can not even give you a professional guess, because no matter – even with two items at hand – how I look at the iconography there is always a flaw in every approach.

A word aside – what I always advertize: Pay attention to details.
Means: What do you really see/read/hear etc.?

As you said there is a parallel. You see dots and a bigger dot. There is not even a moon on the Thai-display. That was no problem for you (and to be fair – even a lot of academics do this – what is the reason why such stuff is not far known – as it is much less appealing for a wider audience and it is hardcore to publish - except you come up with fantastic ideas).
That is why I said: I do not do Dungeons&Dragons.
If you see such stuff in the future – first ask; always ask: What do I really see? Before you make any connection.

Similar History Discussions