A Question About Belarus

Jun 2013
Connecticut
I'm fascinated with Eastern European history but ignorant of Belarus, i.e. Byelorussia, Belorussia.
My question is why didn't Belarus ever seem to develop a deep, rich culture of their own? I could be wrong and that's why I'm asking. That's my impression though.
Example. Even though Belarus is an official language, it's not spoken by its own people. Its like becoming an extinct tongue. They speak Russian. I seem to get the impression the Belarus exists "in the shadows" of other cultures. I find that strange.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For one, what differentiates Ukraine from Belarus is that Ukrainian nationalism had a safe haven to develop in the pre-WWI decades in Austria. Belarus didn't really have that, and for some reason, even after over 70 years of Soviet rule, Belarusians still don't appear to have that much of a national consciousness.

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
I'm fascinated with Eastern European history but ignorant of Belarus, i.e. Byelorussia, Belorussia.
My question is why didn't Belarus ever seem to develop a deep, rich culture of their own? I could be wrong and that's why I'm asking. That's my impression though.
Example. Even though Belarus is an official language, it's not spoken by its own people. Its like becoming an extinct tongue. They speak Russian. I seem to get the impression the Belarus exists "in the shadows" of other cultures. I find that strange.
Communism (Internationalism) does this to you. It erases people's identity completely.
Belarus is basically an extension of Russia. And I don't see that changing.
Homo Soveticus is different species.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
I guess this is a tough topic.
The land of Belarus has been a battlefield for centuries, especially during WW II. That said you can't say it was due to invaders and oppressors. The Ukraine, Ploand, the Balkan states and Greece have witnessed such conquest and devestation yet they have developed rich, deep, unique cultures.
I'm beginning to wonder. re there such people as Belosussians?

Jul 2017
Argentina
Hey Talbot.
I'm thinking may be a belarussian guy reading would find your thread very offensive.
Why do you state the country has no culture of it's own??
Have you been there?? Have you met people??
Don't they have their language?? Their artists?? Their historical figures?? Their habits??
Red Russia and White Russia are very old concepts which ultimately Belarus (with a slightly differente name back then) to split.
Personally, I've never been to Belarus or met people from there, so I can make no asumptions.
Communism (Internationalism) does this to you. It erases people's identity completely.
Homo Soveticus is different species.
Hey Sherd.
Besides being highly pejorative in your thoght, I can't agree with you.
I know people from Cuba and I'm informed of much of what happens in that country. They didn't have the chance to practise their communism (if you could call it so) in an international level. But their culture is very rich. Much richer than their capitalist neighbours República Dominicana and Puerto Rico and Panamá, where the only status messure is having or not access to go to new york.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
@maTiasddsm , my intent in asking these questions is never, ever to offend.
I ask about the culture and language because I can't find much information about it on-line, other than Wikipedia info.
It's my hope that someone with a Belorussian background will respond.

Jan 2014
Rus
If Burgundy separate from France it would be hard to develope their individual language and culture. Though it had them once. And these language and culture would be worse than French anyway. So they wouldnt be much convenient for people.

Jul 2017
USA
Belarus and Ukraine are high treason concepts of the internationalists from the west. It's akin to Texas and California having their own military and working against USA. They are terrorists and high traitors supported by international terrorists and treacherous plots. They are Russians and they have no separate culture. That's all you need to know.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Scotland and Wales are high treason concepts of the internationalists, supported by international terrorists and treacherous plots, they are English and they have no separate culture. That's all you need to know.

Similar History Discussions