A Question About Belarus

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
I think he is a troll, don't feed.
Your post is completely useless. This is not a private discussion. You can write me a PM if you want to continue this useless sh&ttalk. I praise the quality of the threads here and don't want to turn it into a personal mess.

Both Belarus and Ukraine are much poorer than Russia right now.
There are a lot of nuances here. Russia's main contributing factor which greatly accelerates GDP/per capita is the redistrubution of wealth due to natural oil reserves. The actual Russian economy is VERY fragile.
The Ukranian economy (although currently in crisis) is much more viable.
If you take into consideration the GDP prior to the invasion of Russia, you can see that they didn't exactly live more poorly.
I've been to both countries and know it first hand about the actual standard of living.
Russia, also, has ridiculously high number of billioners compared to Bielarus and the Ukraine, which you know.... makes Russia look better on paper. But that's just on paper.
The average Bielorus/Ukrainian lives a more comfortable life than the Russian!!!
Don't just google it and pretend that this is a realistic measurement of things.

Russians (on average) live a poorer life than their Western neighbours. And it will be even more evident in the near future as Russia is practically in a stagnation while the same cannot be said about Ukraine and Bielorus.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Another question about Belarus--why exactly does it have much less people than either Poland or Ukraine has?
For one, it contains a great deal of swamps and marshes. It is also more forested. It also appears winter in Belarus is more harsh. Here is a comparison bewteen Poland and Belarus.
Poland vs. Belarus - Country Comparison

The Ukraine is three times the size of Belarus, has more temperate climate and much more arable land. As you know Futurist, the Ukraine was the breadbasket of the USSR. :)
Ukraine vs. Belarus - Country Comparison

Jun 2013
Connecticut
I have communicated with a few Belarusians on other websites over the years. They are a proud bunch, especially of their cultural heritage, which is thoroughly Slavic. Some would argue Belarus (along with SE Poland and northern Ukraine) is the homeland of the tribe that came to be known as the Slavs and later spread throughout central, southern and eastern Europe. As a poster has mentioned, it has primarily an agrarian society. Even today, there are less than 10 million, so they are not numerous. Most importantly, Belarus has never had any extended period of autonomy. From the Kievan Rus to Lithuania, PLC, Russia, USSR and Russia again, they have no had time to develop much of an identity that differentiates from their eastern Slavic brothers, especially Russians.
It never dawned on me that there are so few Belorussians for such a large land mass. That's an interesting point I overlooked. Could it be that this is the way it's been throughout its history?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
It never dawned on me that there are so few Belorussians for such a large land mass. That's an interesting point I overlooked. Could it be that this is the way it's been throughout its history?
I think the marshes, swamps and forests made it less habitable, especially for an agrarian society, compared to the plains to the west (Poland), to the south (the Ukraine), and even to the east (Smolensk). Additionally the land to the west and south are more temperate AND further from every tribe from the Asiatic Steppes that always seemed to have some horde of invaders (Scythians, Huns, Avars, Turks, Mongols, Tartars, etc.).

Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
Location, not to mention Belarus have a been a playground in different wars too (25% of population died during WW2 for example). Most of the time it was under the influence of some surrounding country...

I have communicated with a few Belarusians on other websites over the years. They are a proud bunch, especially of their cultural heritage, which is thoroughly Slavic.
It depends. Though there is movement of litvins or whatever nowadays.

Similar History Discussions