A Question About Belarus

Jun 2013
Connecticut
An explaination of "Litvin" appears in Wikipedia. Didn't think to look there at all.

Litvin is a Polish word (Litwin) for Lithuanians. Originally it referenced Lithuanians in the old Grand Duchy, which encompasssed a lot of territory in its day.

Yet Litvins don't seem to be Lithuanians at all. Wikipedia says they are a "special regional group", whatever that means.

Wikipedia says they call themselves Ruski and not Moskals or Katsaps. Now I found this very interesting because I understand that if you called a Polish or Lithuanian person a "Ruski Katsap" it was considered highly insulting.

It only gets more confusing because today it refers to Belasussians who supported/contributed/participated with the old Grand Duchy.

So I still don't know what a Litvin is. LOL !!!

Mar 2014
Lithuania
In today's Belarus Litvins are people who believe, that Grand Duchy of Lithuania in reality was Grand Duchy of Belarus and Lithuanians basically had nothing to do with that state. They believe that everything was done by Belorussians and all Lithuanians lived in Samogitia. It is something like Afrocentric people claiming that most of influential people in history were secretly Black Africans.

Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
In today's Belarus Litvins are people who believe, that Grand Duchy of Lithuania in reality was Grand Duchy of Belarus and Lithuanians basically had nothing to do with that state. They believe that everything was done by Belorussians and all Lithuanians lived in Samogitia. It is something like Afrocentric people claiming that most of influential people in history were secretly Black Africans.
What I heard from my friend - who shares their ideology now - is that he said that Russia is not a friend but he forgives the atrocities it had done in 1794, 1831, 1864, 1917, 1939, 1979, but in case of war he would fight for Belarus and some other blabbering about his roots, Commonwealth, Grand Duchy of Lithuania, magic or whatever.

Mar 2014
Lithuania
To be fair, Belorus was part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania for something like 300 years, it was part of Russian empire in one form or another for similar amount of time. So, basically, being part of Lithuanian state differentiates them from the rest of the Rus. For people who want identity different from Moscow Russia, Grand Duchy of Lithuania is reasonable choice. What I dislike about Litvins is their disregard to actual history, I can understand wish for separate identity.

Jun 2013
Connecticut
@chucke and @janusdviveidis thanks for your explainations. I get a little clearer picture of the term.

It seems to me that they are a people of Belarussia who wish to differentiate themselves from Belorussians because Belarussians as a whole are too "Russified" - too Russian. Litvins want to be different.

From what I'm reading they are willing to create fictional history to make that distinction.

Similar History Discussions