A Russo-Persian War in the late 1810s

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, there was a Russian-Persian war from 1826-28. In which Persia was goaded by Britain to regain lost territory from the earlier 1804-13 war. They lost badly and Russia gained the north Caucasus. So if the war happened in the late 1810's it would probably be pretty much the same, only the cause being different (if Russia started it).
Now if Russia invaded with the goal of total annexation of Persia, this gets more complicated. In the 1826-28 war Russia completely defeated Persia, even temporarily occupying Tabriz. If they kept pushing they probably could have conquered the whole country but logistically it would have been very difficult to maintain the supply lines across the whole area. This would necessitate the conquest of central asia to link up with the newly conquered Persia.
More importantly the other regional powers wouldn't sit idle while Russia devours huge chunks of territory. Britain already considered Russia its main rival and would work to prevent this annexation. Either by demanding Russia pull back (could be an earlier version of the Crimean war, only over the collapse of Persia), grabbing parts of Persia for themselves (Baluchistan and south), or by militarily intervening through proxies (ottoman empire and others).
What do you think is more likely--Britain conquering parts of Persia and letting Russia have the rest of Persia or Britain actually going to war with Russia over this issue?

Also, Russia can maintain supplies through the Caucasus, no? Or is that extremely difficult to do in the pre-railroad era? If so, I don't think that movement through Central Asia is actually going to be much easier due to its desert terrain.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
What do you think is more likely--Britain conquering parts of Persia and letting Russia have the rest of Persia or Britain actually going to war with Russia over this issue?

Also, Russia can maintain supplies through the Caucasus, no? Or is that extremely difficult to do in the pre-railroad era? If so, I don't think that movement through Central Asia is actually going to be much easier due to its desert terrain.
I think a Crimean war-style conflict to curb Russian aggression is more likely, but I'm not overly familiar with the global politics of the time.
The Caucasus is very mountainous, had little infrastructure and a hostile population and to top it off, Russia has always been poor on logistics. That's why their conquests in the region were relatively small. It took time to digest the territory and build new bases to stage out of. Not all of central asia is desert, but if they bordered Persia on two fronts, it gives them more options, not forcing them to fight in one narrow front.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think a Crimean war-style conflict to curb Russian aggression is more likely, but I'm not overly familiar with the global politics of the time.
The Caucasus is very mountainous, had little infrastructure and a hostile population and to top it off, Russia has always been poor on logistics. That's why their conquests in the region were relatively small. It took time to digest the territory and build new bases to stage out of. Not all of central asia is desert, but if they bordered Persia on two fronts, it gives them more options, not forcing them to fight in one narrow front.
Fighting on two fronts would force Russia to divide its forces, though.