A Soviet-British-French-Polish alliance before WW2

Dec 2017
Australia
If I ever lived in Lithuania I would learn Lithuanian to the best of my ability. I know two women living in Kaunas and Šiauliai. They were special. Woman from Kaunas told me when she saw Belarusians in Molodechno (town between Vilnius and Minsk) are strikengly similar to Lithuanians. As twins - she wrote.

Mar 2014
Lithuania
Well Lithuanians and Belorussians were part of one country for hundreds of years. Lithuanian Dukes were resettling Jotvingians and some Prussians running from Germans in territory of today Belarus, some Balts lived on Belorussian territory long before Grand Duchy. There should be some similarities. Still, now Belarus culturally and linguistically is closest to Russians. So, there will be no surprise if they decide to join Russia more closely.

Dec 2017
Australia
Lithuania had most prestigeous training centre of airborne troops in
242nd Training Centre - Wikipedia in Gaižiūnai and Rukla.
Then 18 months of military service in 103rd Guards Airborne Division. But not necessarily in 103rd. The division was engaged in Viena offensive in 1945. Then in Prague in 1968, unfortunately. The division was stationed in Kabul in the 80s.
103rd Guards Airborne Division - Wikipedia
103rd division is Belarusian. Well known around USSR.
Lithuanians had oath giving up facilities in Gaižiūnai and Rukla to NATO. And you know you are involved in fist fights with niggers who pick up on your women

Dec 2017
Australia
Well Lithuanians and Belorussians were part of one country for hundreds of years. Lithuanian Dukes were resettling Jotvingians and some Prussians running from Germans in territory of today Belarus, some Balts lived on Belorussian territory long before Grand Duchy. There should be some similarities. Still, now Belarus culturally and linguistically is closest to Russians. So, there will be no surprise if they decide to join Russia more closely.
We are not close to the Russians. To me Poles and Lithuanians of Belarus are more closer than the Russians. Pick up any traditional Belarusian costume or Belarusian traditional dish and you will find something Lithuanian. But yes, Russians, especially Russians of western Smolensk region and southern Pskov region are similar to Belarusians.
I've done a genetic test. So many Lithuanians , Belarusians, Poles, Latgalians I have among my matches. I am fully Belarusian from northern Belarus next to Latgalia. Few Russians and Ukrainians I have.

Dec 2017
Australia
janusdviveidis

If you start learning about our culture....
We are not. We will never be. And stop writing Belorussian. It's offensive. We are Belarus-ian. Belarusians.

I am spewing reading if reburial of Kalinoŭski should be labeled in Belarusian in Trokai on grave. No questions about Lithuanian, Polish, Ukrainian. Ukrainian? Questioning Belarusian? He was a Belarusian of Grodno, you know. And you are questioning if the label should include Belarusian?

Jul 2012
Australia
That is true for you as well. Pact that we all know of for sure was signed in 1939, but negotiations between partition of Poland between Germany and Soviet Union were going on from 1920. This situation was known to French and Polish intelligence services. So, in what World Poland would invite million of Soviet Soldiers to guard against German invasion when they know that both of these countries are negotiating about double invasion of Poland? No one knew for sure when and what was signed at the time, but enough information was leaking for very well based suspicion and military cooperation was obvious for all willing to look.
There was no "pact" between the Soviet Union and Germany to partition Poland in 1920. The Soviet idea at that time was to overrun Poland and join the German communists and establish the Dictatorship of the Proletariat in Germany. As the Versailles and Riga Treaties were not satisfactory to Germany and the Soviet Union, Poland was in no doubt, and the West suspected, that at some stage both countries would attempt to reclaim lands they claimed on ethnic and "historical" basis.

Mar 2014
Lithuania
There was no "pact" between the Soviet Union and Germany to partition Poland in 1920. The Soviet idea at that time was to overrun Poland and join the German communists and establish the Dictatorship of the Proletariat in Germany. As the Versailles and Riga Treaties were not satisfactory to Germany and the Soviet Union, Poland was in no doubt, and the West suspected, that at some stage both countries would attempt to reclaim lands they claimed on ethnic and "historical" basis.
Never said, that there was pact in 1920, but German and Soviet diplomats were already talking about it and Polish intelligence knew about it. There were several periods when discussions were more or less concrete, but since 1926 military cooperation between Germany and Soviet Union Was extensive. So, why would Poles agree with Soviet army entrance?

"On April 16, 1920, Victor Kopp, the RSFSR's special representative to Berlin, asked at the German Foreign Office whether "there was any possibility of combining the German and the Red Army for a joint war on Poland".[14] This was yet another event at the start of military cooperation between the two countries, which ended before the German invasion of the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941"

"On April 24, 1926, Weimar Germany and the Soviet Union concluded another treaty (Treaty of Berlin (1926)), declaring the parties' adherence to the Treaty of Rapallo and neutrality for five years. The treaty was signed by German Foreign Minister Gustav Stresemann and Soviet ambassador Nikolay Krestinsky.[31] The treaty was perceived as an imminent threat by Poland. "

Germany–Soviet Union relations, 1918–1941 - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I don't think anyone is arguing that Poland wanted to ally with the Soviets. The question was 'Did Britain and France want to ally with the Soviets in the spring and summer of 1939?' to which the answer is 'Yes.'

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
The top secret discussions between the Anglo-French military delegation and the Soviets in August 1939 - five months after the Nazis marched into Czechoslovakia - suggest both desperation and impotence of the western powers in the face of Nazi aggression.

Poland, whose territory the vast Russian army would have had to cross to confront Germany, was firmly against such an alliance. Britain was doubtful about the efficacy of any Soviet forces because only the previous year, Stalin had purged thousands of top Red Army commanders.

The documents will be used by Russian historians to help explain and justify Stalin's controversial pact with Hitler, which remains infamous as an example of diplomatic expediency.

"It was clear that the Soviet Union stood alone and had to turn to Germany and sign a non-aggression pact to gain some time to prepare ourselves for the conflict that was clearly coming," said Gen Sotskov.

A desperate attempt by the French on August 21 to revive the talks was rebuffed, as secret Soviet-Nazi talks were already well advanced.
Stalin 'planned to send a million troops to stop Hitler if Britain and France agreed pact'

Dec 2017
Australia
janusdviveidis

If you start learning about our culture....

We are not. We will never be. And stop writing Belorussian. It's offensive. We are Belarus-ian. Belarusians.

I am spewing reading if reburial of Kalinoŭski should be labeled in Belarusian in Trokai on grave. No questions about Lithuanian, Polish, Ukrainian. Ukrainian? Questioning Belarusian? He was a Belarusian of Grodno, you know. And you are questioning if the label should include Belarusian?
janusdviveidis

Dzukai and Latgali are our people. Think whatever you want about us.Russians? Okay , we are Russians. We don't need anything from you. For example, people of Gomel or Brest regions will see you strange.