A Soviet-British-French-Polish alliance before WW2

Mar 2014
Lithuania
janusdviveidis

Dzukai and Latgali are our people. Think whatever you want about us.Russians? Okay , we are Russians. We don't need anything from you. For example, people of Gomel or Brest regions will see you strange.
I am not sure that you understand Dzukai are Lithuanians. There are 4 remaining distinct Lithuanian dialects: Aukstaiciai, Zemaiciai, Suvalkieciai and Dzukai. Part of Aukstaiciai and Dzukai living region ended up in territory of Belarus. I suspect, that majority of them have already become Belorussians, but some old people probably still speak Lithuanian. Latgalian is Latvian tribe, I don't know if some of them live on territory of Belarus. As of national Identity of Belorussians, it will be whatever people of Belarus choose. I have no opinion, I know that Belorussian language is different enough from Russian that I understand very little. It simply seems from my point of view, that Belarus is moving towards Russia. What happens in the future no one knows.

Map with aproximate distribution people speaking different Lithuanian dialects.

Dec 2017
Australia
Irish and English are not the same people. Austrians, Swiss, Germans too. Romanians and Moldovans. Croats, Bosniaks, Serbs. All speak same languages. Among all eastern Slavic languages Belarusian is most similar to western Slavic – Polish, Czech, Slovak.
Czechs came to us to learn Belarusian, to find something in their own language.
You live 50km from the Belarusian border considering Belarusians Russians? A certain Russian in Mogilev (eastern Belarus) lived all his life in Belarus stated Belarusians and Russians are different people.
If we were not, then we would be Russia.

Dec 2017
Australia
I am not sure that you understand Dzukai are Lithuanians. There are 4 remaining distinct Lithuanian dialects: Aukstaiciai, Zemaiciai, Suvalkieciai and Dzukai. Part of Aukstaiciai and Dzukai living region ended up in territory of Belarus. I suspect, that majority of them have already become Belorussians, but some old people probably still speak Lithuanian. Latgalian is Latvian tribe, I don't know if some of them live on territory of Belarus. As of national Identity of Belorussians, it will be whatever people of Belarus choose. I have no opinion, I know that Belorussian language is different enough from Russian that I understand very little. It simply seems from my point of view, that Belarus is moving towards Russia. What happens in the future no one knows.

Map with aproximate distribution people speaking different Lithuanian dialects.
I know about Dzukai and Latgali more than most Lithuanians and Latvians. Both Dzukai and Latgali live in northern Belarus. Latgali is not a tribe. They are an ethnic group of people. Or a subgroup of Latvians. Some consider them, more precisely their language a third eastern Baltic language. Their capital is Daugavpils. St Petersburg is the only University in which one can learn Latgalian language. Not even in Latvia one can learn Latgalian. For your information, Latgalian is more similar to Lithuanian than regular Latvian.

This is the best Latvian movie Latvians say. It's about a Latgalian family. I recommend it. Translated in different languages.
Cilvēka bērns (filma) — Vikipēdija

Last edited:
Dec 2017
Australia
Latgalian is a Baltic language spoken in Latgale, the eastern part of Latvia. It is debated whether it is a separate language with heavy Latvian influence, due to historical mutual exposure, or a distinct dialect of Latvian.[3] Nevertheless, its standardized form is recognized and protected as a "historical variety of the Latvian language" (vēsturisks latviešu valodas paveids) by Latvian law.[4] The 2011 Latvian census established that 8.8% of Latvia's inhabitants, or 164,500 people, speak Latgalian daily. 97,600 of them live in Latgale, 29,400 in Riga and 14,400 in the Riga region.[5]
Latgalian language - Wikipedia