A thousand years of Philippine history before the coming of the Spaniards

This document is a work of Austin Craig. Craig was an Associate Professor of History at the University of the Philippines. This work was presented to the Philippine Academy at its open meeting in University Hall, Manila, October 13, 1914.

The records hereinafter to be cited are for the most part of the prosaic kind, all the more reliable and valuable because they are inclined to be dry and matter-of-fact. They make no such demand upon imagination as Europe's pioneer traveller's tales, for instance the sixteenth century chart which depicted America as inhabited by headless people with eyes, nose and mouth located in the chest.

A thousand years of Philippine history before the coming of the Spaniards

Nov 2011
Good find there priesteria. :D
But sadly there are few writings that were found as well. :( Some history were oral. They were made into songs or stories and they are very long to listen to. :)

I see you've taken an interest in Philippine history. :D I as well have taken my own interest in Philippine history as I had a class of it in college. :D

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I am looking for any review or articles related to the manuscripts. Any help is welcome
For Works and authors with more than 100 years usually the “Gutenberg Project” and “The Internet Archive” are good places to find the works. The last sometimes as some reviews.

Anyway, I found the mentioned book:

A Thousand Years Of Philippine History Before The Coming Of The Spaniards : Austin Craig : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

And some more that possible can interest you:

Books by Craig, Austin (sorted by popularity)

Personally the part of the Philippines history that I read more is about the 16th century, so can't help you much more.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
When we don't have written records, archeology can help supplement our knowledge of the past. Has there much archeological digs in the Philippines of sites older than the Spanish?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
When we don't have written records, archeology can help supplement our knowledge of the past. Has there much archeological digs in the Philippines of sites older than the Spanish?
Relevant question, but maybe we can use other sources to know about Philippines pre-Spanish past, such as written records, not from the Spanish, but from the Chinese or the Japanese? I am ignorant about those, but I have the idea that the accounts of Zheng He mission refer the Philipines! When the Spanish arrived there were Chinese and Japanese ships in those waters, and I don’t know if that path of research is also explored.

Austin Craig mentions Chinese sources in his book on the first pages (2...) from the Chou/Zhou Dynasty, but in many aspects the book seems incredibly dated.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
And the yellowed pages of the book make reading impossible. There must be more info on Philippine history on internet. So, I turn to Wikipeia. :)

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
And the yellowed pages of the book make reading impossible. There must be more info on Philippine history on internet. So, I turn to Wikipeia. :)
Indeed the yellowed pages online are not much enjoyable, I am more used to them in paper with the characteristic fug smell.

But again, the book is clearly outdated, but it gives you information that you won’t find in Wikipedia.

Similar History Discussions