A US map from the early 1940s that shows what a US equivalent of Operation Barbarossa would look like

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I found this map interesting and thus I wanted to share it here:

Basically, it's a US map from the early 1940s that shows what a US equivalent of Operation Barbarossa would look like. This map was made by Russian War Relief (a US organization whose goal was to provide aid to the Soviet Union during World War II) and while I am unsure of this map's exact date, it had to have been sometime between 1942 and 1945--probably in either 1942 or 1943 given the vast amount of Soviet territory still held by the Germans during this time--as shown on this map, but in a US-equivalent context.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this map?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Now take out most train resupply and factor in trucks going back and forth from the furthest point to the front line, and many of those trucks being garbage suitable for low weights on well paved roads.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Now take out most train resupply and factor in trucks going back and forth from the furthest point to the front line, and many of those trucks being garbage suitable for low weights on well paved roads.
I thought that the USSR received good trucks from the US en masse as a result of Lend-Lease?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
I thought that the USSR received good trucks from the US en masse as a result of Lend-Lease?
I meant Germans during Barbarossa and Case Blue. Most of resupply was with trucks, which barely had the capability to push in 400 km let alone the 1400 km or so to reach Stalingrad.

Looking back at that map, imagine every officer in the Ostheer, to include field marshals, realized that after invading the east coast of the US about the time they reached the Appalachian Mountains they were in a critical logistical nightmare that would only ever get worse, and those same individuals all decided to press on deeper, to where they stop on that map.

They didn't just ignore the logistical problems associated with large scale maneuver warfare, they tried to wish it away. The german army was designed only for fighting in central and western European countries...

Reactions: Scaeva and Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I meant Germans during Barbarossa and Case Blue. Most of resupply was with trucks, which barely had the capability to push in 400 km let alone the 1400 km or so to reach Stalingrad.

Looking back at that map, imagine every officer in the Ostheer, to include field marshals, realized that after invading the east coast of the US about the time they reached the Appalachian Mountains they were in a critical logistical nightmare that would only ever get worse, and those same individuals all decided to press on deeper, to where they stop on that map.

They didn't just ignore the logistical problems associated with large scale maneuver warfare, they tried to wish it away. The german army was designed only for fighting in central and western European countries...
The Nazis would have been better served listening to Georg Thomas about this:

Georg Thomas - Wikipedia