Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No, the sixth World War would be more accurate

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other: A war by another name (with a numeral) it should be

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Aug 2011
Texas
Should the second world war be known as such, or should it be called the sixth world war? Or perhaps a war by another name? Sound off Historumites...

Aug 2011
Texas
Just too clarify, the wars that i think qualifies as the 6 global wars would be: The War of The Spanish succession, The war of Austrian succession, Seven year's war, The Napoleonic wars, World War One/The Great War and finally... World War Two/The Second World War.

May 2012
I think that the Seven years war is sometimes referred to as the "first world war" because of its theatres of war it was fought on (Europe, India, America etc.) but the great war of 1914 was given the title of World War I because of the sheer number of countrys involved, number of people fought and including there was more than just one theatre of war.

Oct 2010
In my opinion, the Second World war did not start till 1941 when the US joined it. until then, it was a number of wars on different continents.

Guaporense

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
Brazil
The Second World War was a World War not because it was fought on multiple continents, but because it's had global implications.

The leading powers in the world during the 1930's were:

Britain

France

A war involving these two powers was a world war. Period.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Couldn't WW1 be called the Great European War ? The war was largely restricted to Europe.
In Europe you can find who calls WWI the "Civil European War" suggesting a comparison with the American war of secession.

If the comparison with the American conflict is quite forced [and artificial] the definition "Civil War" is not totally wrong. If we think that today France, Italy, Germany, UK are in the same union ... it could become difficult to imagine that these countries were mortal enemies some generations ago.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
It would be the seventh, the first true world scale war was the one among Spain by one side, and Netherlands, France and Britain by the other. It was fought in every continent and ocean, with local populations being involved in one way to other.

Mar 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Couldn't WW1 be called the Great European War ? The war was largely restricted to Europe.
The involvement of the Ottoman Empire brought with it a Middle East component to WWI and the East African Campaign lasted the entire length of the war. Not as global as World War II, however, the war had massive global complications and hundreds of thousands of people were brought in from colonies all over the world to fight in the trenches.

Oct 2010
The Second World War was a World War not because it was fought on multiple continents, but because it's had global implications.

The leading powers in the world during the 1930's were:

Britain

France

A war involving these two powers was a world war. Period.
I'm afraid, I can't agree. US invasion of Afghanistan has "global implications", but you would not call it "the World War", would you?