About intelligence and education

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Yes. It is the qualifier , where you apply everything you learn in theory and practice. If you cant apply it in the 'University of Life' and 'modify' what you learnt to apply to ' life's changing situations in actuality ' and make an improvement ( the process in this 'University' ), then what you where learning (or how you understood it and applied it ) was a crock of sh*t . . . some useless human head trip .
Unfortunately, most people do not seem to thrive there as well.
I know my BA only gave me relatively decent English literacy and knowledge base; then, quite a bit can be added from there!

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Unfortunately, most people do not seem to thrive there as well.
I know my BA only gave me relatively decent English literacy and knowledge base; then, quite a bit can be added from there!
Thats the whole point of what I was writing about ; the idea is to increase one's chance of thriving .... and more . And without this system of education, yes, we will see many people not thriving in life . Life is supposed to be an enjoyable and exciting adventure , and fulfilling and all that should bring a special inner happiness .... IMO .

Did you see my question at the end of post 18 ?

Jan 2016
Ohio
EQ plays a big role in my book.

Personally, topics of IQ frustrate me.

Often I see people get put down or feel lesser because there IQ isant "high".

Ive seen those with a high IQ struggle with the pressures of being "smart". I know this from personal experience.

There are other qualities that will equate success like drive, willpower, EQ, etc.

Astrophysics for example. It might be easier for someone with an IQ of 160 to understand the concepts but doesn't mean those who fall into the normal range won't be more successful with a bit extra time dedicated to studying.

Personally I think our school systems are a wreck.

I felt a pressure to be smart and be the best which ended up counteracting my potential. I eventually found math and science quite boring and decided to spend time in History and the Arts.

I don't necessarily believe there are bad teachers, but different kids need different styles of teaching in order to connect to there intelligence.

Oct 2009
San Diego
I keep thinking of posting a thread about intelligence, and I think of these three in the Chinese language.
Intelligence Quotient (智商): It usually means the potential and ability to learn and apply learning; with some techniques, it can be enhanced; most of it is innate.
Wisdom (智慧): The life experience and the way to deal with lives and practical events.
Knowledge (知识): The hardcore facts and techniques.
Most people with college education (or degree holders) are at least "mildly gifted" by IQ.
The quote from good old George Bernard Shaw: A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, arts into pedantry. Hence University education.

Should we focus on all three?
How should education be done?
There is zero correlation between i.q. and success in life. And it is a fact that I.Q. scores go up over time, across the board. IQ testing is certainly testing for something... but it can be argued that what it tests for is largely irrelevant to success and happiness.

Wisdom has been shown scientifically to be related to LESS knowledge. That is, you gain in wisdom as you forget all the knowledge you learned that turns out to not be applicable to achieving what you wish to achieve.
As people get 'wiser' they have Fewer synaptic connections in their brains... that is, thinking and reasoning become more efficient.

EQ has been revealed to be a far better predictor of accomplishment and success than IQ.

Oh- and college degrees have no significant correlation with higher IQ, either.
That is, you have to have an IQ better than 100 to make it in college... but there are as many degree holders of below average intelligence as there are of above average intelligence.
All a degree can tell you is whether a given person was capable of satisfying a group of professors' requirements for a passing grade. It is not even a strong indicator of competence in the field in which the degree was awarded.

Similar History Discussions