About saree

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
jangiskhan,

The Historum forum STRONGLY discourages the zombie revival of threads that are more than two years old for multiple reasons.

The Mod Team
I’m curious about this point because I have been scolded in the past by mods for responding to old threads. If comments and/or additions to old threads is not desired, why not close those threads or make it impossible to add comments to them? When I respond to a thread I rarely if ever look at how old it is if the subject matter is of interest to me. Being scolded for responding to a person because that member has not been active for a long time on Historum is immaterial to me: what is “material” to me is the subject being discussed which may or may not be of interest to others. I don’t get it. Please explain.

Reactions: Bharata

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I’m curious about this point because I have been scolded in the past by mods for responding to old threads. If comments and/or additions to old threads is not desired, why not close those threads or make it impossible to add comments to them? When I respond to a thread I rarely if ever look at how old it is if the subject matter is of interest to me. Being scolded for responding to a person because that member has not been active for a long time on Historum is immaterial to me: what is “material” to me is the subject being discussed which may or may not be of interest to others. I don’t get it. Please explain.

Historum is primarily a forum for the discussion of historical topics. When the participants in a thread decide to cease posting in a thread, for whatever reasons, that is a statement regarding the thread that cannot be refuted.

The moderators have witnessed, repeatedly, that virtually all of the participants in an inactive thread of two years or longer are no longer participating members of the forum. Resurrection of these old threads invariably leads to futile attempts to engage those members who are long departed.

Consequently, the Moderating Team has established the two year rule for thread revivals. Note that the moderators "strongly discourage" rather than "forbid" the resurrection of old threads. If a subject is of interest to a member, they are free to start a new thread.