Achilles

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
You know you're going to get about the same answers as you got for your hercules thread. The man is a legend, from an epic. There may or may not have been a real person, but if there was a real man, he was almost certainly vastly different from the divinely protected warrior that he was described as.

Jul 2014
Messinia
You know you're going to get about the same answers as you got for your hercules thread. The man is a legend, from an epic. There may or may not have been a real person, but if there was a real man, he was almost certainly vastly different from the divinely protected warrior that he was described as.
I started the thread to hear from everyones "PERSONAL" opinion. Everyone has one. Please share yours...

Aug 2014
Montana
Pretty much my thoughts on it. I believe the Iliad is historical fiction, probably based off true events but the battle scenes and people are most certainly dramatized.

Lowell2

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
California
If Achilles was real, his portrayal in literature (including the Iliad) probably has as much truth to it as the modern movie portrayals of the Spartans do to the real Sparta. That said, there's no particular reason why a particularly good fighter couldn't be the leader of an essentially mercenary group and that he wouldn't have had an ego big enough to accommodate all of them (I don't like the literary Achilles. I think he is pretty much portrayed as a spoiled brat).

Jul 2014
Messinia
If Achilles was real, his portrayal in literature (including the Iliad) probably has as much truth to it as the modern movie portrayals of the Spartans do to the real Sparta. That said, there's no particular reason why a particularly good fighter couldn't be the leader of an essentially mercenary group and that he wouldn't have had an ego big enough to accommodate all of them (I don't like the literary Achilles. I think he is pretty much portrayed as a spoiled brat).
How is he portrayed as a brat exactly?

Similar History Discussions