Acorns in archaeology

May 2013
ireland

In my last post I talked about Oaks and how useful they were and are to people. The last thing that I said in my last post is that acorns had been eaten by humans since at least late Paleolithic times right up to modern times, and that I would write about acorns and acorn eaters in my next few posts. In this post I will write about archaeological evidence we have for human consumption of acorns during the Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Copper age, Bronze age and Iron age. I hope you find the data presented in this post as eye opening as I did find it, and that you will start seeing acorns in a completely different light from now on.

You can read more here:

Old European culture: Acorns in archaeology

I am currently preparing next post about acorns in historical and anthropological sources. I would appreciate any help regarding either archaeological data regarding acorns found in early medieval sites or any ethnographic data regarding eating of acorns in the north western Europe. Also I have second hand information about acorns being eaten in Armenia, but could not confirm this. Any help here would also be very welcome. Thank you all in advance.

Similar History Discussions