Additional realistic examples of frozen conflicts?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In real life, there have been numerous cases of frozen conflicts. Specifically, I am thinking of:

-Korea
-Taiwan
-Kashmir
-Kosovo
-Northern Cyprus
-The West Bank
-The Golan Heights
-Nagorno-Karabakh
-Abkhazia
-South Ossetia
-The Donbass
-Transnistria
-Crimea could sort of work for this, but it doesn't quite fit since there's no actual conflict there and there is unlikely to ever be an actual conflict there due to the severe strength disparity between Russia and Ukraine
-Western Sahara

Anyway, which additional realistic examples of this could there have been? So far, I could think of:

-Vietnam had South Vietnam survived up to the present-day
-Iraq had the recent civil war there resulted in a ceasefire while ISIS still controlled some Iraqi territory; also, Iraq had Saddam Hussein failed to reconquer the Shiite-majority parts of Iraq back in 1991 and had a ceasefire subsequently been agreed to by the two sides in this conflict
-Syria could eventually fit the bill for this if the conflict there will eventually become frozen but without any sort of formal peace treaty
-Sinai, Gaza, and/or southern Lebanon if Israel would have maintained control of them up to the present-day
-The Russian-heavy parts of Estonia, Latvia, and/or Kazakhstan
-Kokang (it's Chinese-majority)
-Khuzestan had Iraq managed to conquer it in the Iran-Iraq War
-Ogaden had Somalia managed to conquer it in the Ogaden War
-Chechnya had the Chechens managed to keep the de facto independence that they had obtained in the 1990s (before losing it in real life due to Russia's reconquest of Chechnya).

Anyway, what additional realistic examples of frozen conflicts could there have been?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
Not sure if this is an adequate example but the rest of the Balkans conflicts. Also the Northern Ireland conflict and The American Civil War, and Libya after NATO overthrew Gaddafi.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Not sure if this is an adequate example but the rest of the Balkans conflicts.
Well, the Bosnian War certainly. I'm not sure what other Balkan conflicts are there. AFAIK, the Albanians in Macedonia never actually waged war against the Macedonian government.

Also the Northern Ireland conflict
Can it actually be viewed as a frozen conflict if all of Northern Ireland is currently ruled by one government, though?

and The American Civil War,
No, because the US totally and completely crushed the Confederacy and eliminated its existence. Frozen conflict means that a conflict is resolved inconclusively and there is no peace treaty signed. In other words, no war but also legal limbo--sometimes for decades.

and Libya after NATO overthrew Gaddafi.
That conflict never really froze, did it? I mean, the fighting there is still ongoing right now, is it not? If the front lines aren't stable, then it's not really a frozen conflict.

Reactions: Kubis Gabcik
May 2019
Northern and Western hemispheres
Certainly the Bosnian War and the conflict over Kosovo. Those are about the only Balkans conflicts that I can think of. Interesting question regarding northern Ireland. It might or might not be viewed as a frozen conflict. Thanks for more specifically defining a frozen conflict. It was kind of a different term for me. I would have to agree that the conflict in Libya never froze as there still different groups of Libyans fighting there.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Certainly the Bosnian War and the conflict over Kosovo.
Yeah, I mentioned Kosovo in my OP here and then subsequently mentioned Bosnia in a later post here.

Those are about the only Balkans conflicts that I can think of. Interesting question regarding northern Ireland. It might or might not be viewed as a frozen conflict.
Yeah, please allow me to ask about this. AFAIK, though, Northern Ireland nowadays is managed as one political unit--unlike, say, the Koreas or China/Taiwan or Ukraine/the Donbass or even Bosnia and Herzegovina (which is a federation with a Bosnian-Croat political unit and a separate Serb political unit in the form of Republika Srpska).

Thanks for more specifically defining a frozen conflict. It was kind of a different term for me.
FTR, here's the Wikipedia definition of "frozen conflict":

"In international relations, a frozen conflict is a situation in which active armed conflict has been brought to an end, but no peace treaty or other political framework resolves the conflict to the satisfaction of the combatants. Therefore, legally the conflict can start again at any moment, creating an environment of insecurity and instability."

I would have to agree that the conflict in Libya never froze as there still different groups of Libyans fighting there.
Yeah. It could theoretically eventually become a frozen conflict in the future if no one side will actually successfully manage to conquer all of Libya, though.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Certainly the Bosnian War and the conflict over Kosovo. Those are about the only Balkans conflicts that I can think of. Interesting question regarding northern Ireland. It might or might not be viewed as a frozen conflict. Thanks for more specifically defining a frozen conflict. It was kind of a different term for me. I would have to agree that the conflict in Libya never froze as there still different groups of Libyans fighting there.
Northern Ireland could again flare up if there is a hard Brexit.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Can Crimea be regarded as a frozen conflict.
Possibly--though it's hard to tell for sure. It was conquered so quickly that there really wasn't any actual conflict (as in, fighting) over it--and there is unlikely to ever be any actual conflict/fighting over it. That said, though, I actually did mention Crimea in my OP here.

Northern Ireland could again flare up if there is a hard Brexit.
It could, and that would be really sad. :(

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
The Falklands, as Argentina has stated multiple times since the war that they see the islands as theirs, and want them back.

IMO, Northern Ireland is a frozen conflict, not least due to Adams making the statement "They haven't gone away you know"

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Falklands, as Argentina has stated multiple times since the war that they see the islands as theirs, and want them back.
That might actually be a good example.

IMO, Northern Ireland is a frozen conflict, not least due to Adams making the statement "They haven't gone away you know"
But is Northern Ireland actually split into two different political units? I mean, it wasn't the Irish government that was waging the war in Northern Ireland--was it?