Afghan aversion for Daal (lentils)

Aug 2014
pakistan
Afghans hate daal and use the term daalkhor pejoratively for their easterly neighbors (including Pakistani Pashtuns). The earliest historical reference to their dislike for daal , to my knowledge, is found in early 19th century work Naway Ma’arek authored by an Afghan Mirza Ata who was a soldier for Shah Shuja Sadozai.The work is used as a source by William Dalrample for his book "Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan". Mirza Ata writes, " The Indians know neither how to dress nor how to eat – God save me from the fire of their daal and their miserable chapattis" .

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Afghans hate daal and use the term daalkhor pejoratively for their easterly neighbors (including Pakistani Pashtuns). The earliest historical reference to their dislike for daal , to my knowledge, is found in early 19th century work Naway Ma’arek authored by an Afghan Mirza Ata who was a soldier for Shah Shuja Sadozai.The work is used as a source by William Dalrample for his book "Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan". Mirza Ata writes, " The Indians know neither how to dress nor how to eat – God save me from the fire of their daal and their miserable chapattis" .
Afghan aversion to daal could be due to it not being a staple diet in their culture. As you say this aversion goes away once Afghans (Pashtuns) settle in Pakistan. Chapati eaters and rice eaters in India have similar aversion attitudes to each others too.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Afghans hate daal and use the term daalkhor pejoratively for their easterly neighbors (including Pakistani Pashtuns). The earliest historical reference to their dislike for daal , to my knowledge, is found in early 19th century work Naway Ma’arek authored by an Afghan Mirza Ata who was a soldier for Shah Shuja Sadozai.The work is used as a source by William Dalrample for his book "Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan". Mirza Ata writes, "The Indians know neither how to dress nor how to eat – God save me from the fire of their daal and their miserable chapattis" .
True, but I like Daal Urad. If some one does not like 'roti', then it could be 'parantha' or 'puri' or 'various forms of 'moti roti' or 'bati'.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Thanks for what we call 'Rumali Roti' (Handkerchief bread'), Azad. Forgot to mention my favorite - Bedmi puri, very tasty, it contains daal; dosa also contains daal. Lakki Marwat, right near River Kurram (it was known as 'Krumu' in Aryan times, mentioned in RigVeda).

Last edited: