Africa walking behind on development.

Status
Closed
Apr 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
How come Africa an[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]d sub-Saharan Africa in ggeneral are so behind Europe and the other parts of the world? Why has there never been African Empire of world class like there was in South-America, Europe and Asia.
And finally is Africa going to get in line with the rest of the worlds development.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Sep 2012
Brazil
Ethiopia, Nubia, Egypt, Carthage, Mali... There were various rich and powerful African states and civilizations. From very ancient civilizations along the Nile and the Horn of Africa, to the medieval empires build along the gold and salt mines to the Indian coast mercantile city-states, the rich and diverse cultural history at the Niger delta and the populous states in the south like the Mutapa or the Kongo.
Aren't you projecting the last centuries of decline and colonization in Africa to all it's history?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Why has there never been African Empire of world class like there was in South-America
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Empire]Ethiopian Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajuuraan_Empire]Ajuuraan state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Empire]New Kingdom of Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malian_Empire]Mali Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_Empire]Songhai Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Comparable to South America at least, I would say.

Apr 2013
Ethiopia, Nubia, Egypt, Carthage, Mali... There were various rich and powerful African states and civilizations. From very ancient civilizations along the Nile and the Horn of Africa, to the medieval empires build along the gold and salt mines to the Indian coast mercantile city-states, the rich and diverse cultural history at the Niger delta and the populous states in the south like the Mutapa or the Kongo.
Aren't you projecting the last centuries of decline and colonization in Africa to all it's history?
Most of the Empires you just mentioned were in North-Africa, or in the wake of its influence. But why has there never been something like the Roman Empire, The Arab Caliphate, Russian Empire or the Ottoman Empire. Something far stretching and an empire that contributed greatly to science, astrology, mathematics, etc. It seems that almost every continent of the world had multiple of these extravagant empires that stretched beyond 1 continent and contributed greatly to humanity except for Africa. (with as exception to North-Africa)

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Most of the Empires you just mentioned were in North-Africa, or in the wake of its influence. But why has there never been something like the Roman Empire, The Arab Caliphate, or The Frankish empire. Something far stretching and an empire that contributed greatly to science, astrology, mathematics, etc. It seems that almost every continent of the world had multiple of these extravagant empires that stretched beyond 1 continent and contributed greatly to humanity except for Africa. (with as exception to North-Africa)
Except in modern times, North America north of Mexico didn't have any either.

Apr 2013
Except in modern times, North America north of Mexico didn't have any either.
That's true but they eventually got them. Do you think Africa will rise to become a continent of development, the number 1 continent, it seems every continent had it's share of greatness except Africa, well the exception was a Moorish empire in Morocco and Spain of which Cordoba was capital and at the time the worlds cultural center.

May 2013
SOMEWHERE
That's true but they eventually got them. Do you think Africa will rise to become a continent of development, the number 1 continent, it seems every continent had it's share of greatness except Africa, well the exception was a Moorish empire in Morocco and Spain of which Cordoba was capital and at the time the worlds cultural center.
If you have done proper research on modern africa and earlier africa you would not have ask these questions.
What history books on africa have read,because if you read any,you would know africa has/have greatness in the past.
It had civilization that were ahead of other civilizations.

Mali by way is west africa and so is songhai.
Parts of it is in north africa,but they are considered west african civilizations/empires first.

Ethiopia is east africa .
The horn OF africa etc.. is in not in north africa.Only the northern part of nubia is really north africa,the rest of nubia could be considered east africa BUT IN THE NORTHERN PART.

Now since we told you that africa had many civilizations,i guest you want to know if it had large empire's like rome.
Well yes,africa had a number of large empires,some lasting has long,almost has long or some others lasting longer then rome.
Mali,the songhai,kush,alwa,the funj, etc..

Just look up african empires,or west african empires,east african empires,central african empires or southern african and north african empires.

Modern africa is developing by the way but it's behind on average because of the past colonialism.It had different problems then any other place and much of it was free only since the 1960's plus major set backs in the 1980s'
Keep in mind it was ahead of asia in the 1960's but because of the set backs IN THE 80'S it fell behind.

Africa now is one of the fastest growing regions,but because the population is growing a bit fast economic development for most african countries will take time but infrastructure development and other developments are happening if you just take time to do the proper research or go to africa for yourself.

If you do some reading some europeans are heading to africa because of europe's problems.
Do some reading on spain and portugal for example.

Another thing that seems to went over your head,those civilizations that the earlier poster mention are in africa.He just gave links to read about africa's greatness but you just ignore it,and really do not want to learn but to cause trouble.

Before anybody answers anymore of your questions what books have you read about african civilizations? and what books you plan to read?

Just answer those two question before you go on.

Last edited:
Apr 2013
I feel almost honored that registered to the site and made an account just to comment on my topic.
First off welcome to Historum.

If you have done proper research on modern africa and earlier africa you would not have ask these questions.
What history books on africa have read,because if you read any,you would know africa has/have greatness in the past.
It had civilization that were ahead of other civilizations.
Do you see me saying I'm an expert on Africa anywhere in my comment.
I'm here too learn about that, and tell me if I done any research why the hell would be here to ask these questions.
This part of your reply is Irrelevant.

Mali by way is west africa and so is songhai.
Ethiopia is east africa .
The horn OF africa etc.. is in not in north africa.Only the northern part of nubia is really north africa,the rest of nubia could be considered east africa BUT IN THE NORTHERN PART.
Implying I didn't get geography in Elementary school.
Thanks anyway.

Modern africa is developing by the way but it's behind on average because of the past colonialism.It had different problems then any other place and much of it was free only since the 1960's plus major set backs in the 1980s'
Keep in mind it was ahead of asia in the 1960's but because of the set backs IN THE 80'S it fell behind.
So it's the fault of colonialism, but the second they were independent they turned their nations into a mess.
I have to disagree on this, it was a combination on both the weak governing skills of the fresh African nations aswell as the instability following the decolonization era that turned Africa into a mess. You said it yourself when they just got out of colonialism they were doing quite good.

Africa now is one of the fastest growing regions,but because the population is growing a bit fast economic development for most african countries will take time but infrastructure development and other developments are happening if you just take time to do the proper research or go to africa for yourself.
China and the USA are doing most of the development work, china made the most roads, hospitals and schools in nations like Zimbabwe. It's neo-colonialism at its best, just look at how the American and French are bringing democracy to Uganda, The Central African Republic, Mali, Libya ,etc.

If you do some reading some europeans are heading to africa because of europe's problems.
Do some reading on spain and portugal for example.
Implying I don't do any reading, I'm from born in African nation; Morocco and I visit it almost every year, and I can see the effect the Euro-crisis is having on many Spaniards. Morocco has been the nation for the most Spanish to flee too, and I've seen it firsthand. This However doesn't have any thing to do with my question and hence this part of the reply is yet again irrelevant.

Another thing that seems to went over your head,those civilizations that the earlier poster mention are in africa. He just gave links to read about africa's greatness but you just ignore it,and really do not want to learn but to cause trouble.
I asked for a pretty tight criteria which none of those Empire except for the north African ones have met. I'll write it down for you to mention 1 empire to fit the criteria.
1. It has to be multi-continental.
2. It must have had great achievements in science, astrology, medicine etc,
I mentioned my creteria before and you didn't even read it, all your read was " HURR DURR Africa undevelopt bad HURR DURR" Didn't you?

Before anybody answers anymore of your questions what books have you read about african civilizations? and what books you plan to read?

Just answer those two question before you go on.
Ooh now, you the leader of this topic , I've seen patern over and over in your comment you say all kinds of things without mentioning any sources. I could just lie and Google any book on Africa and claim to have read it. But that would fit no purpose or whatsoever, I'm to busy with reading books on Communism and in one of these books I came across a little bit of African history and hence I asked a question. But why don't you enlighten me and tell me what books on Africa you have read as of late.

again, welcome to Historum

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
If it can get rid of its kleptomaniac ruling class and tribal system then definitely.

Africa is a continent rich in natural resources, but they're being squandered by corrupt rulers who see their time in power as an opportunity to get rich. They keep hold of power by handing out favours, directly and indirectly, to their friends and people of the same tribe. It's no wonder then that Nigeria, which has the potential to be a world class player with its oil riches, is riddled with regional and sectarian conflicts when people who aren't getting their share of the wealth take up arms. Where rival groups are trying to take hold of resources in the DR Congo and Sudans, where military coups are taking place in Mali and CAR, where Somalia has disintegrated into anarchy, and so on.

There is no reason why African countries can't be as prosperous as Australia, if they're determined to do it. Africans aren't stupid, they're not primitive and they're not inferior to the rest of the world. They lack education, security and infrastructure. All of those problems are solvable.

My solution?

Cut all direct state aid to African countries. Use the money saved to build roads, schools, hospitals, power stations etc. paid for directly by the countries donor countries, using recognised international companies, but stipulating that they must use local labour and provide training. That will stop unscrupulous government officials from siphoning off aid money and provide jobs. Put money into providing security using well trained, reliable troops in areas that require it. We've seen how effective this can be, when a comparatively small number of British troops ended the civil war in Sierra Leone. Grant royalty exemptions to pharmaceutical companies providing medical services in Africa to deal with problems such as HIV/AIDS.

And above all, make sure the commercial activities of Western companies in Africa are properly scrutinised and overseen.

As this solution wouldn't be politically acceptable to African countries (cries of neo-colonialism) or foreign donor countries (who would be loathe to undertake peacekeeping operations) or big international companies (who would find their profits reduced if they weren't allowed to agree exploitative contracts), it would never happen though.

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
There was a great Tutsi empire in the make in Central Africa during the 1990s, but the powers that be prefer a bloody status quo over letting anyone faction take hold of the mineral riches of the Congo, lest they ask a fair price for what they are selling.

Status
Closed