African American contribution to American music and culture

Mar 2019
KL
i have heard that there is significant contribution for instance pop music, rock music, jazz, rap etc which have become famous all around the globe, even american country music instruments such as Banjo is considered an african american. Probably fried chicken came from african american community as well. Is there any other contribution as well?

Nov 2016
Germany
The question is not clear. Are you interested in contributions of African culture to (US) American culture or also in contributions of individual Africans or African Americans to (US) American culture? There is a difference.

As for the latter, there are, for example, two African American inventors who have made some important contributions (if you consider technical achievement to be a cultural contribution).

It is also worth mentioning that Picasso was influenced by African art. Although this does not directly affect American culture, it is influenced by Picasso.

1573395708290.png

An important African-American artist was the graffiti painter Jean-Michel Basquiat (1960-1988):

1573396112079.png

Another successful Afro American artist is the Nigeria born female painter Njideka Akunyili Crosby (Los Angeles):

1573396407669.png

But one should not overlook the contributions that whites have made to the promotion of African American artists. Marilyn Monroe, for example, has decisively launched her friend´s Ella Fitzgerald's career in November 1954 by getting her an engagement at the Mocambo Nightclub in Los Angeles and making publicity for her by sitting in the front row.

1573397037383.png

Mar 2019
Kansas
i have heard that there is significant contribution for instance pop music, rock music, jazz, rap etc which have become famous all around the globe, even american country music instruments such as Banjo is considered an african american. Probably fried chicken came from african american community as well. Is there any other contribution as well?
Fried chicken predates colonization of North America by some considerable time. Over time it has become part of the lexicon to denigrate former African American slaves :(

Reactions: Ashoka maurya
Mar 2016
US
First let us call black people by there proper name. Indengenous Americans. Are contribution goes back to the time when this country was called paganos. We had a thriving economy according to the Dutch when they arrive in California.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ashoka maurya

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
First let us call black people by there proper name. Indengenous Americans. Are contribution goes back to the time when this country was called paganos. We had a thriving economy according to the Dutch when they arrive in California.

American Natives weren't "black", but "red" [and they came from Asia during the last Glacial Age].

This said, Africans have given a pivotal and eternal contribution to music: the explicit expression of rhythm. Before of them rhythm was implicit [musicians looked at the metronome]. Africans preferred to use drums ... and drums have begun to dominate the world of music.

Mar 2016
US
American Natives weren't "black", but "red" [and they came from Asia during the last Glacial Age].

This said, Africans have given a pivotal and eternal contribution to music: the explicit expression of rhythm. Before of them rhythm was implicit [musicians looked at the metronome]. Africans preferred to use drums ... and drums have begun to dominate the world of music.
Look up the book in the library of Congress about the history of America's and the people they in came in contact with looked like what we call black people. And actually the word Indian (Indios in Spanish ) Means black skin people. The awarak tribe black people. Califa California black queen of California. Look up Tasha xi on you tube and you will see the untold history. Not all black people are African. Black people where here before Columbus or any Asia crossing .

Mar 2016
US

Vivian Thomas created needle to preform heart surgery on babies. Black man invented the ploing machine for crops. Peanut butter. Eyeshadow, lipstick. Perfume deodorant, breath mints, etc and a host of other things.