African American contribution to American music and culture

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Look up the book in the library of Congress about the history of America's and the people they in came in contact with looked like what we call black people. And actually the word Indian (Indios in Spanish ) Means black skin people. The awarak tribe black people. Califa California black queen of California. Look up Tasha xi on you tube and you will see the untold history. Not all black people are African. Black people where here before Columbus or any Asia crossing .

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I cannot say if the first Europeans who reached Northern America knew the aspect of real Africans. Probably an American Native shows a so dark skin to look "black" in the eyes of an European from UK or Netherlands [an Italian would have thought "What? Are there Sicilians with odd skin here?"].

Nov 2016
Germany
This said, Africans have given a pivotal and eternal contribution to music: the explicit expression of rhythm.
I thought Jazz wasn't an issue because it was about cultural contributions that the OP didn't already mention, but please, here is an old clip from the early days of Jazz, a rather funny one:

However, there are works in European music that sound much more African than most Jazz productions, such as Igor Stravinsky's Sacre du Printemps from 1913, but which are not inspired by African music.

Last edited:
Mar 2016
US
I cannot say if the first Europeans who reached Northern America knew the aspect of real Africans. Probably an American Native shows a so dark skin to look "black" in the eyes of an European from UK or Netherlands [an Italian would have thought "What? Are there Sicilians with odd skin here?"].
The fact is I know they were black because my family is the descendants of these people. We like many black people know we are indengenous Americans. Just because you aren't taught this in doesn't make it unreal. The fact is people should research for themselves and not take what they heard as absolute truth. Example. The oldest skeleton of America and the world was found on American continent and it was of a black woman they call Lucy. The pigmes were black. The indengenous people of Florida were black. The indengenous people of Americas from Canada to southern America were black.

Mar 2016
US
Lucy was not a ´black woman´ but a one meter tall female ape-like creature from the species Australopithecus Afarensis.
Actually your wrong. Science has already proven life began with black people. The problem is racism. The fact is we are not different races just different tribes. And once people can get over there superiority complexity we can see real history and make progress for humanity and stop repeating the same mistakes.

Nov 2016
Germany
Science has already proven life began with black people. The problem is racism.
It really has nothing to do with racism when I say that Lucy was not "black" in the sense that we understand by it today. The biological distinction black/white etc. did not exist several million years ago. So you can't say that Lucy was black. That would be unscientific.

Reactions: Sundiata1

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Actually your wrong. Science has already proven life began with black people. The problem is racism. The fact is we are not different races just different tribes. And once people can get over there superiority complexity we can see real history and make progress for humanity and stop repeating the same mistakes.

What do you mean with "life"? I guess you mean "human species" ...

Well, Lucy wasn't properly human yet, she was still a primitive primate, substantially a hominoid.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Lucy was not a ´black woman´ but a one meter tall female ape-like creature from the species Australopithecus Afarensis.
And if I am not mistaken, there is no definitive proof that she is part of the linage that eventually gave rise to man.