African civilization and Arabs

Dec 2015
USA
You're first problem is going onto 4chan.

Take it from a millennial, people on 4chan and most image boards don't care about genuine discussion or history. Of course African and Africans had and still continue to have a history without Arabs or Arabic influence. Even then, just because one group was heavily influenced by another doesn't mean their own merits, achievements, and history are any less valid.

Apr 2017
Lemuria
You're first problem is going onto 4chan.

Take it from a millennial, people on 4chan and most image boards don't care about genuine discussion or history. Of course African and Africans had and still continue to have a history without Arabs or Arabic influence. Even then, just because one group was heavily influenced by another doesn't mean their own merits, achievements, and history are any less valid.
Exactly but it's an important form of debate as well. If you are debating a biased individual with a clear agenda, do you use the same strategy as you would when debating more reasonable individuals? Of course not.
You can completely defeat them by using subtle irony and twisting their own arguments against them. Reason just doesn't work though. They usually have some form of autistic obsession, which can be used to control them for a particular goal. This is why there is such a thing as meme magic. They love repetition and are highly vulnerable to subtle propaganda.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Netherlands
No, this is not accurate.

I'll elaborate later when I have more time, plus comment on the rest of your statement.
Okay. I gathered this information from an article by M. Cissé on recent excavations at the sites of Old Gao and Gao Saney. Maybe my dates are too recent, but most of the material seemed to be dated post-700 and the connection with trade is explicitly mentioned. However, Gao didn't exist in a cultural vacuum too and the history of urbanization in the general region seems to be much older, with the first towns of several thousand inhabitants already appearing in Iron Age Nok of the first millennium BC. The terracotta figurines of Nok also suggest a degree of cultural advancement.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Okay. I gathered this information from an article by M. Cissé on recent excavations at the sites of Old Gao and Gao Saney. . .
Nok doesn't really have anything to do with Gao. It's a completely different culture.

Like I said, I'll elaborate later.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
I recognize that my country owes a great deal to Arab culture like the whole of the Iberian peninsula.
In my country for example the salt, for example the name of Cuba that is Arabic etc.etc.

Jan 2018
Netherlands
Nok doesn't really have anything to do with Gao. It's a completely different culture.

Like I said, I'll elaborate later.
It wasn't really my intention to suggest such a connection, but I can see why my comment can be read as if I did.

Jan 2018
Netherlands
I recognize that my country owes a great deal to Arab culture like the whole of the Iberian peninsula.
In my country for example the salt, for example the name of Cuba that is Arabic etc.etc.
Cuba is what Columbus thought to be the indigenous name for the island. He first wrote it in his diary as "Colba", then spelled it "Cuba" from the next day onward, probably because he thought he had been mistaken about the pronunciation.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
US
Exactly but it's an important form of debate as well. If you are debating a biased individual with a clear agenda, do you use the same strategy as you would when debating more reasonable individuals? Of course not.
You can completely defeat them by using subtle irony and twisting their own arguments against them. Reason just doesn't work though. They usually have some form of autistic obsession, which can be used to control them for a particular goal. This is why there is such a thing as meme magic. They love repetition and are highly vulnerable to subtle propaganda.
If the goal isn't to educate Black Africans about Black African history, then I don't believe it's a goal worth pursuing.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Cuba is what Columbus thought to be the indigenous name for the island. He first wrote it in his diary as "Colba", then spelled it "Cuba" from the next day onward, probably because he thought he had been mistaken about the pronunciation.
Cuba is a town in the South of Portugal. Some years ago there was an unsupported thesis that the name of the Island in the Caribbean was given to the Portuguese town. That thesis is related with another unsupported thesis that Columbus was Portuguese, and not the same Columbus from the documents found in Genoa. There is a long list of thesis about Columbus origin. The Genoese one, although with many holes, it is still the best one.

If the goal isn't to educate Black Africans about Black African history, then I don't believe it's a goal worth pursuing.
For me the best goal to pursue is still to educate the Man about the Man’s history.

Similar History Discussions