African civilization and Arabs

Nov 2013
Dallas
Well, I don't see why that would necessarily be a problem. After all, the Greeks, Romans and Germans didn't "civilise" themselves out of nothing and we don't use that fact to prove that they were racially inferior to the Egyptians or Babylonians.
Well said. Ultimately none of this matters anyway. We are trying to build our futures, not ruminate on our respective pasts. I take interest in history as a matter of curious interest, not as a means to affirm my self-worth, I know who I am and am proud of my Igbo heritage regardless of how many other peoples they did or didn't conquer. My success will be made or broken by what I do and create going forward. I they calculate their self-worth by the accomplishments of ancestors that themselves may or may not have been "civilized" by others in a chain that borrows all the way back to the Egyptians and Babylonians in the Middle East and North Africa, then perhaps that speaks to the reality that they are dealing with in their own lives right now.

As of right now, neither the past, nor the future exists in our universe outside of that information which is projected to us in the light from distant galaxies. The only thing that exists is the present. If they can't deal with that, then that's their problem. Let them life their glory on 4chan, I'll live my glory in my life and achievements in the here and now. I love learning about history and all peoples of the earth have things to be alternatively be both proud and ashamed of because we all have the same basic failings and potential that are shaped by our conditions and the environments in which we develop in. Real intelligence requires the self-awareness to recognize those aspect, be humble in your humanity while also taking advantage in an able-bodied and healthy existence to progress as you see fit. I don't need their acceptance. Ppl's morality may evolve slowly and incrementally but it is evolving. They're wasting all of our time fighting a losing battle to maintain their world-view in my opinion...:notrust:

Sep 2017
United States
Well said. Ultimately none of this matters anyway. We are trying to build our futures, not ruminate on our respective pasts. I take interest in history as a matter of curious interest, not as a means to affirm my self-worth, I know who I am and am proud of my Igbo heritage regardless of how many other peoples they did or didn't conquer. My success will be made or broken by what I do and create going forward. I they calculate their self-worth by the accomplishments of ancestors that themselves may or may not have been "civilized" by others in a chain that borrows all the way back to the Egyptians and Babylonians in the Middle East and North Africa, then perhaps that speaks to the reality that they are dealing with in their own lives right now.

As of right now, neither the past, nor the future exists in our universe outside of that information which is projected to us in the light from distant galaxies. The only thing that exists is the present. If they can't deal with that, then that's their problem. Let them life their glory on 4chan, I'll live my glory in my life and achievements in the here and now. I love learning about history and all peoples of the earth have things to be alternatively be both proud and ashamed of because we all have the same basic failings and potential that are shaped by our conditions and the environments in which we develop in. Real intelligence requires the self-awareness to recognize those aspect, be humble in your humanity while also taking advantage in an able-bodied and healthy existence to progress as you see fit. I don't need their acceptance. Ppl's morality may evolve slowly and incrementally but it is evolving. They're wasting all of our time fighting a losing battle to maintain their world-view in my opinion...:notrust:
Brilliantly said, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Similar History Discussions