African dreadlocks

Mar 2019
KL
i thought that dreadlock hair culture originated in africa and mostly native there but a lot of ancient images show dreadlocks being practiced in a wide region ranging from middle east to south and central asia which has surprised me. There was probably a very big dreadlock culture in india from first mil BC up until the end for first mil AD, These ran out of fashion in south asia from the beginning of second mil AD, but it still can be seen in some parts of central asia esp tajikistan, while im not sure when middle east ran out of it.

here are some very interesting images

assyrian image from the end of second mil BC, even their beards have dreadlocks

1556462478033.png

gupta era, india

1556462513094.png

people still practice them in some parts of central asia

1556462555597.png

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Hair will naturally mat if you let it. I once picked up a hitch hiker that I thought was a hippie dread head, turns out he was just a migrant worker that never combed his hair.

Don't forget about Indian sadhus. Sadhu.jpg

Reactions: Ashoka maurya
Mar 2019
Paris
i thought that dreadlock hair culture originated in africa and mostly native there but a lot of ancient images show dreadlocks being practiced in a wide region ranging from middle east to south and central asia which has surprised me. There was probably a very big dreadlock culture in india from first mil BC up until the end for first mil AD, These ran out of fashion in south asia from the beginning of second mil AD, but it still can be seen in some parts of central asia esp tajikistan, while im not sure when middle east ran out of it.

here are some very interesting images

assyrian image from the end of second mil BC, even their beards have dreadlocks

View attachment 18719

gupta era, india

View attachment 18720

people still practice them in some parts of central asia

View attachment 18721
The last picture is showing braids, not dreadlocks.
You find braids all over the world.
320px-Kouros_anavissos.jpg
Circa 530 BC, Greece

Queue (hairstyle) - Wikipedia
French braid - Wikipedia

For the others, the lack of details does not allow us to say what hairstyle they don.
For example, the assyrians remind me of the Himba women hairstyle. They also remind me of Avengers:Endgame, one of the avengers looks pretty much like this (at least to me), while looking nothing like the himba hairstyle.

Nov 2015
Memphis
Yeah dreadlocks go back to ancient Nubia-Kemet

There were several other hair styles that modern Afro-American descendants rock today.

and other continental Africans