After 6 years closed - The national museum of Damascus reopens its doors

May 2017
Syria
Syria's largest and most important museum in Damascus reopens its doors after six years of closure, putting back tens of thousands of historical artifacts including statues, mosaics, pottery and frescoes back on display - including many that were salvaged from militant held areas and Syria's national borders and including restored artifacts that were badly damaged during the war.

This is great news for Syria's (and the world's..) heritage and history.. :fold:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Yes, this is really something important. Who wants to destroy the past will not succeed ... history is not a private property, history is a treasure for all. We've got the duty to preserve it. Who doesn't understand this ... well ... I cannot find the words to define such an individual.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Glad and relieved to see this.

But I have a more general concern. Can Muslim countries be trusted with their antiquities, which are actually also a part of the human heritage? With so much turmoil across the Muslim world, and Muslim extremists determined to destroy these antiquities, because they are taught that it represents the pre-Islamic world of Jahiliya ( world of ignorance, stupidity and darkness), isn't it better that these treasures be stored elsewhere?

May 2017
Syria
Glad and relieved to see this.
Me too.. I was constantly worried about the fate of many artifacts that were in some of Syria's other museums, but thankfully many of them have been salvaged and restored to be put back on display.

But I have a more general concern. Can Muslim countries be trusted with their antiquities, which are actually also a part of the human heritage?
Well, the Syrian government's ministry of culture and the DGAM (Directorate-General of Antiquities and Museums) have done such a wonderful job in preserving, protecting, salvaging and restoring many artifacts and antiquities throughout the war (which is thankfully nearing its end). Heck, Khaled al-Asad, who was one of Syria's most important archaeologists, got beheaded by ISIS for refusing to reveal the location of some artifacts he played a role in hiding. So if anyone can be trusted with Syria's heritage.. it's the Syrian state.

ISIS and other ideologically-affiliated extremist militant groups were the major perpetrator in destroying, damaging and trafficking many artifacts in the middle east but their actions and stance on Syria's cultural heritage doesn't in any way represent the stance of the Syrian government, the Syrian ministry of culture, the DGAM, nor the large number of Syrians who are proud of their country's heritage and history.

If many of Syria's artifacts and antiquities weren't in good hands, Syria's national museum would've never reopened today. Nor stayed standing for 99 years.

Similar History Discussions