After impeachment a question about Senate vote ?

May 2017
florida
The constitution sez that a vote to remove President requires a 2/3rd vote of those senators "PRESENT "at time of vote . I wonder if in the past any senators absented them selves to avoid the political turmoil that may follow ? I can find no info on my source , google !

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
In the case of Andrew Johnson [one of the two Presidents who have faced the vote of the Senate after the impeachment], in 1868, only 54 senators voted and he got acquitted because of 1 vote [35 in favor, 19 not in favor]. The Senate in that moment had 74 seats, among them 8 were vacant. So there were 66 potential voters. 1868 and 1869 United States Senate elections - Wikipedia
In the second case 100 senators were present [it was 1998].

The number of senators is related to the number of the states in the Union [in the SCOTUS there are 2 senators for any state].

Jul 2019
Pale Blue Dot - Moonshine Quadrant
When President Thomas Jefferson sought to have Supreme Court Justice Samuel Chase impeached (with John Marshall presumably next in Jefferson’s plan) there were 34 Senators total and 23 were needed for conviction regardless of absences or abstentions.

The Jeffersonian dominated the lower House, on party lines, had impeached Chase by a vote of 73-32 on 18 articles; not a single Jeffersonian Republican in the House voted against it.

It was pure politics and politically Jefferson had good reason for complaint.

In his last days as President John Adams had rushed through his “Midnight Appointments” that tilted the judiciary in Federalist favor and Chase had politically proselytized from the bench. To a Baltimore grand jury Chase had attacked the repeal of Adams’ Judiciary Act of 1801 saying it would "take away all security for property and personal liberty, and our Republican constitution will sink into a mobocracy.” In another situation when a Delaware grand jury Delaware declined to indict a local printer under the Alien and Sedition Acts that had targeted Jeffersonians, Chase refused to discharge that jury, telling them that there was one specific printer that he wanted them to indict for seditious behavior.

But, Jefferson was clearly on a slippery slope – some might argue that he was moving toward the very mobocracy Chase and other Federalists had warned about. The Senate refused to consider bad behavior an impeachable offense and Chase was acquitted 18-16 with multiple Jeffersonian Republicans voting for acquittal.

Reactions: bedb
Nov 2019
United States
[QUOTE="AlpinLuke, post: 3223570, member: 12941"

The number of senators is related to the number of the states in the Union [in the SCOTUS there are 2 senators for any state].
[/QUOTE]
FYI SCOTUS is an abbreviation of Supreme Court Of The United States. Don't think you meant that in this comment.

May 2017
florida
I guess my original question , do ya think any senators would avoid the vote by being absent ? I assume they can also say " present " when asked for a vote , it has been done ! It will still require 2/3rd s of those present !

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
[QUOTE="AlpinLuke, post: 3223570, member: 12941"

FYI SCOTUS is an abbreviation of Supreme Court Of The United States. Don't think you meant that in this comment.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the remark.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
In the case of Andrew Johnson [one of the two Presidents who have faced the vote of the Senate after the impeachment], in 1868, only 54 senators voted and he got acquitted because of 1 vote [35 in favor, 19 not in favor]. The Senate in that moment had 74 seats, among them 8 were vacant. So there were 66 potential voters. 1868 and 1869 United States Senate elections - Wikipedia
In the second case 100 senators were present [it was 1998].

There were 8 seats vacant, because Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and Virginia did not have governments that were recognized by the US Congress.

Nov 2019
United States
I guess my original question , do ya think any senators would avoid the vote by being absent ? I assume they can also say " present " when asked for a vote , it has been done ! It will still require 2/3rd s of those present !
I really don't want to go into depth with this issue, however the fact is this will never go beyond a House vote. Republicans are going to vote en Bloc against removal, based on a lack of any logical reason for removal. This means this an exercise in futility.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I really don't want to go into depth with this issue, however the fact is this will never go beyond a House vote. Republicans are going to vote en Bloc against removal, based on a lack of any logical reason for removal. This means this an exercise in futility.
Did you read post #6 and not understand that I meant "No contemporary politics in a history forum?" If you want to discuss politics, go to the chamber under current events. Even there you should discuss from the point of view of a future historian looking back on today's current events. Last warning.

Reactions: Kotromanic