After the Syrian Civil War ends, would you support an Israeli purchase of the Golan?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In other words, after the end of the Syrian Civil War, would you support having Israel pay Syria (or Syria's legally recognized successor state, if Syria permanently breaks up into 2+ separate, independent countries) a certain amount of money in exchange for Syria recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights? This money could be used to help pay for Syria's reconstruction after Syria's Civil War.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Aug 2014
Huntington Beach CA
I think that the Druse who make up most of the Golan's population (and many of whom have taken Israeli citizenship and serve, often with distinction in the Israeli Army will have a lot to say about what happens to the Golan. And I can't see the Islamic State making ANY agreements with Israel, at least not openly. The real question will be what happens to the Druse along Mt. Hermon and in Jabal Druse when and if the Syrian Regime falls. They will need Israel to either protect them where they are or give them asylum within Israel (there are about 600,000 of them). Protecting them in Jabal Druse might well mean driving Sunni Muslims from at least a corridor between Jabal Druse and the Golan, leaving either an isolated Syrian Sunni population along the Jordanian border or cutting off Jordan from Syria and occupying the city of Deera. Either way the Golan could turn into part of a corridor connecting the two Syrian Druse populations and become what amounts to an autonomous Druse State with difficult to defend boundaries. Wheras an influx of half a million Druse would alter Israel politically even though they would likely be loyal to Israel and share a common adversary in Sunni Muslims, and the West Bank too, if Druse settled there. It would make Israel somewhat less Jewish, though it could be offset by Jewish migration from Europe and further decrease the percentage of Palestinian Sunni Muslims in Israel, even if Israel annexes the West Bank. Which makes the Golan and the Druse a much more complicated conundrum for Israel than even the West Bank is.

Jul 2012
Abilene, Texas
And if Assad loses?
The Islamic state sure as hell won't negotiate with Israel, they'll probably will try to take on the IDF and attempt to storm the Golan before attempting to take control of Israel.

Idk about the FSA though, I really don't know a whole lot about them. They'll probably sell the Golan to Israel probably for the same reason Assad might.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Islamic state sure as hell won't negotiate with Israel, they'll probably will try to take on the IDF and attempt to storm the Golan before attempting to take control of Israel.

Idk about the FSA though, I really don't know a whole lot about them. They'll probably sell the Golan to Israel probably for the same reason Assad might.
OK. Frankly, all of this appears to make sense.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
didn't Israel acknowledged the land belongs to Syria in 1990s? how could they turn their side now? that is provoking. why have to make this vote, I haven't hear Israel ever has such plan.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
didn't Israel acknowledged the land belongs to Syria in 1990s? how could they turn their side now? that is provoking. why have to make this vote, I haven't hear Israel ever has such plan.
As far as I know, Israel de facto annexed the Golan Heights back in 1981. Later on, in the 1990s, some Israeli Prime Ministers were willing to give most or all of the Golan Heights back to Syria in exchange for peace. However, not all Israeli politicians even today agree that the Golan Heights should be returned to Syria. Frankly, I suspect that the outbreak of the Syrian Civil War in 2011 strengthened the hand of those Israeli politicians who opposed returning the Golan Heights to Syria.

Similar History Discussions