Agriculture did not spread to Europe as an Idea, but by migrations

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay
Swedish and Danish researchers have solved the question of "how agriculture spread to Europe". This highly debated issue has two main ideas:

• around 7000-6000 B.C, groups from what is today Turkey moved over to Greece and started spreading north to the Balkans. Some minor groups of them spread even further up in search for fertile lands and were responsible for the spread throughout Europe.
  • the agriculture spread in the Balkans, but those farmers didn't move. They spread the idea (maybe orally) which became very popular in a short period of time.

The Swedish and Danish researches have now found several locations in Denmark and Sweden where two different groups have been living. The first group are hunter gatherers and the second are farmers. Those two groups are genetically completely different to each other. The hunters are similar to those found in Finland and the Russian steppes, while the farmers have great similarities with the inhabitants of Cyprus, Sardinia and other southern European populations. I don't get any info about which haplogroup it is but Cyrpus has a total J2 dominance, in other words the farmer haplogroup of Anatolia.

Source (if you can read Swedish): Jordbruket kom med sydländska bönder - DN.SE

PS: When I find an English article I will post

Last edited:

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Btw, populations in Denmark and Sweden do have small amounts J2 (2.5% - 3%), while Norway, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania and Latvia have nothing at all.

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Interesting. I wonder, haplogroup E3b is connected to the neolithic farmers or not?
It is connected to the neolithic farmers of north Africa and the middle east, but not with the Anatolian farmers who spread farming to Europe.

Both J2 and E3b have "farming" background. E3b existed in the Balkans though before farming evolved there.

May 2011
Macedonia, Eastern Roman Empire
I see. E3b is very common in Albania, Greece and South Italy, but it doesn't have a continuum with Africa, where it comes from, since J2 lies between, so E3b carriers came before.

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I see. E3b is very common in Albania, Greece and South Italy, but it doesn't have a continuum with Africa, where it comes from, since J2 lies between, so E3b carriers came before.
Yes they did, therefore many refer to it as "Balkanic".

Similar History Discussions