Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

Jan 2017
Bendigo
Tut's natural heirs died [the two fetuses in his tomb, even if probably female heirs, as for I have understood]. If no younger brothers or sisters around ... the dynasty was at its end. But there were Akhenaten's daughters. They carried the blood of the dynasty. If the successor of Tut wanted to start a new dynasty the choice of the Royal Wife was limited to Akhenaten's daughters.
This would seem more than logical. Ay takes Ankhsenamun (or Ankhsenamun Tasherit?) as a secondary wife, making Tey his Great Royal Spouse. (If Ankhsenamun Tasherit is only 12 or 13, perhaps it was just logical to have Tey look after ritual matters as Great Royal Spouse).

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
I note I have written the contrary of what I had to write ...

"If the successor of Tut wanted to start a new dynasty the choice of the Royal Wife was limited to Akhenaten's daughters".

Actually it's the other way round:

"If the successor of Tut didn't want to start a new dynasty the choice of the Royal Wife was limited to Akhenaten's daughters".

And to start a new dynasty wasn't an option for Ay. The Ramses would have made such a step. And since Ramses was a military officer he didn't give all that importance to tradition. For example, not being he a natural heir of a Pharaoh, he should have had to get married with a daughter of a Monarch to be "traditionally correct". But he got married with Sitre, who was probably in a condition similar to the one of Nefertiti and Mutbenret [also Sitre carried the title of Hereditary Princess].

Jan 2017
Bendigo
I note I have written the contrary of what I had to write ...

"If the successor of Tut wanted to start a new dynasty the choice of the Royal Wife was limited to Akhenaten's daughters".

Actually it's the other way round:

"If the successor of Tut didn't want to start a new dynasty the choice of the Royal Wife was limited to Akhenaten's daughters".

And to start a new dynasty wasn't an option for Ay. The Ramses would have made such a step. And since Ramses was a military officer he didn't give all that importance to tradition. For example, not being he a natural heir of a Pharaoh, he should have had to get married with a daughter of a Monarch to be "traditionally correct". But he got married with Sitre, who was probably in a condition similar to the one of Nefertiti and Mutbenret [also Sitre carried the title of Hereditary Princess].
It can easily be imagined that there were no Thuthmossides left anyway. That Queen who sought a Hittite Prince must have been highly desperate. And perhaps she was dispatched early in Ay’s reign, as I have suggested. Ay may have took her as a wife, but she was pushed to the side and disappeared from history. Did she survive until Horemheb’s reign? Probably not.

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Back to Akhenaten's family ...

In the meanwhile I've found the brief paragraph about Paatenemheb tomb [TA24] in the work by Garis Davies [right page, to read it's better to zoom: The rock tombs of El Amarna : Davies, Norman de Garis, 1865-1941 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive].

I see a point which is quite interesting. The North Palace. I have noted that today it's said that it was the palace of Kiya and then Meritaten ...

Well, I go bacl to the Earlier Proclamation [Year 5, even if Garis reads Year 4 because of the condition of the stela]. Akhenaten names immediately the Hereditary Princess, Nefertiti Neferneferuaten, then he clearly says

"I will make for myself the Royal Palace, I will make the palace of the Queen in Akhetatean" [The rock tombs of El Amarna : Davies, Norman de Garis, 1865-1941 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive here we see the usage of a generic term which I have to individuate on the stela, to find out which sign it has been used].

Two palaces, one is for the Queen, the only Queen mentioned on the stela is Nefertiti. But Kiya has come out there ... two queens and one palace? Or to names and one queen?

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Among other thing, a bit above we see that Akhenaten declares he wants to build a sunshade ["Shade of Ra", like Garis translates] for the Great Royal Wife Nefertiti. But [as for I can see] "Great" and "Nefertiti" are interpolations ... an other reason to look at the hieroglyphics.

Jan 2017
Bendigo
Back to Akhenaten's family ...

In the meanwhile I've found the brief paragraph about Paatenemheb tomb [TA24] in the work by Garis Davies [right page, to read it's better to zoom: The rock tombs of El Amarna : Davies, Norman de Garis, 1865-1941 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive].

I see a point which is quite interesting. The North Palace. I have noted that today it's said that it was the palace of Kiya and then Meritaten ...

Well, I go bacl to the Earlier Proclamation [Year 5, even if Garis reads Year 4 because of the condition of the stela]. Akhenaten names immediately the Hereditary Princess, Nefertiti Neferneferuaten, then he clearly says

"I will make for myself the Royal Palace, I will make the palace of the Queen in Akhetatean" [The rock tombs of El Amarna : Davies, Norman de Garis, 1865-1941 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive here we see the usage of a generic term which I have to individuate on the stela, to find out which sign it has been used].

Two palaces, one is for the Queen, the only Queen mentioned on the stela is Nefertiti. But Kiya has come out there ... two queens and one palace? Or to names and one queen?
Wow! Food for thought!

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
The stela talks only of a woman, the generic term is the determinative for "Queen" [Royal Wife, Great or not] and that woman is Nefertiti. She presents two different cartouches on the stela: Nefertiti and Nefertiti Neferneferuaten. The North Palace was for Nefertiti, according to Akhenaten himself, not for "Kiya". At least on an official document like a boundary stela.

Jan 2017
Bendigo
Among other thing, a bit above we see that Akhenaten declares he wants to build a sunshade ["Shade of Ra", like Garis translates] for the Great Royal Wife Nefertiti. But [as for I can see] "Great" and "Nefertiti" are interpolations ... an other reason to look at the hieroglyphics.
Dig away. You keep finding these interesting bits and pieces. Every piece is a piece of the overall puzzle.

Btw I was just looking up Tut’s nurse, Maia, whose tomb Alain Zivie discovered in 1996 in Saqqara. He thought she was Tut’s sister, Meritaten.* I’m sure you know of this. I thought it a stretch to think a princess would be entombed in Saqqara, but looking at it again, I have definitely reconsidered.

If Maia was Meritaten, she may very well have stayed with Tut when he removed to Memphis. An older sister would be a definite support for him. A royal guardian. If she died there before Tut died, it would have been a large task to remove her to the VoK where, presumably, no tomb awaited her. The Amarna Tomb of Akhenaten may not have been deemed suitable. And, anyway, it was some distance too, and in a city which by then would have not been seen as a place to maintain rituals for the dead. So Saqqara would seem a good location. It was good enough for Horemheb’s two wives, let’s face it. Maia’s tomb was a good one, well decorated. So, why not?

There is that scene in Akhenaten’s tomb at Amarna with Meketaten dead and an infant being breastfed. The female nurse is thought by some to be Meritaten. (Is that your view?) If so, the abject misery of the scene could easily have been compounded by the irony of the death of MeketAten and the first male heir? Whatever the case, maybe Maia is Meritaten after all. She moved to Memphis with Tut and co and maybe died there.

Would the depictions in Maia’s tomb suggest that Tut was still alive when she died, I wonder?

*If this Maia was Meritaten and his mother, it surely would have been mentioned. So IMO if this Maia is Meritaten, Meritaten is not his mother.

Last edited:
Jan 2017
Bendigo
The stela talks only of a woman, the generic term is the determinative for "Queen" [Royal Wife, Great or not] and that woman is Nefertiti. She presents two different cartouches on the stela: Nefertiti and Nefertiti Neferneferuaten. The North Palace was for Nefertiti, according to Akhenaten himself, not for "Kiya". At least on an official document like a boundary stela.
So do we say the Nefertiti-Kiya hypothesis [as being one person] remains alive? Nothing yet disproves it? Edit: was Kiya’s name linked with the Northern Palace?

Btw If Meritaten could be Maia or Maya, can we push for a form of Sitre merytamun (Sitamun) being Kiya? An enormous stretch of the imagination, I know, but are there other name forms belonging to ‘Sitamun’ that might be stretched that far? Stretching again: are there any titles or epithets of Sitamun that might be stretched to derive a ‘Kiya’? Hope I make sense here.

Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
So do we say the Nefertiti-Kiya hypothesis [as being one person] remains alive? Nothing yet disproves it? Edit: was Kiya’s name linked with the Northern Palace?

Btw If Meritaten could be Maia or Maya, can we push for a form of Sitre merytamun (Sitamun) being Kiya? An enormous stretch of the imagination, I know, but are there other name forms belonging to ‘Sitamun’ that might be stretched that far? Stretching again: are there any titles or epithets of Sitamun that might be stretched to derive a ‘Kiya’? Hope I make sense here.
The team of the Amarna Project is not sure to attribute the North Palace to Kiya.

Many inscriptions found in the North Palace show that, whilst it may have been originally made for Nefertiti or Kiya (a queen prominent in the earlier part of Akhenaten's reign) it was later converted into a palace for the eldest daughter and heiress, Princess Meritaten.
[North Palace - Amarna The Place - Amarna Project]

Going down you will see the reconstruction made by Reeves where he sustains that Meritaten has substituted Kiya.

Now, that's the reconstruction where I suspect Reeves has fallen again in his curious attitute to exaggerate about interpolation. And he sees "Akhenaten" in the bigger partial cartouche.

Well, the bigger cartouche is also compatible with a version of one cartouche of the Aten and the traces of the signs of the original name of the queen can be compatible with "Kiya", but also with an early version of "Nefertiti". The traces are little, partial and too faded to allow to be really certain.

Similar History Discussions