Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
There is this to consider as well:

Block from the Maru-Aten A King followed by a Queen and a Princess
Titles of the Princess: the King's bodily daughter, his beloved Meritaten-tasherit, (who belongs) to the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, who lives on Maat, the Lord of the Two Lands (Neferkheperure - Waenre)|, born to the wife and great beloved, Kiya;
<Usurped and re-inscribed for the King's Daughter Meritaten>

What do we make of this?

Edit: Thus block does not show what form of hieroglyphs form Aten. it would be interesting to have a point in time when this Meritaten-Tasherit appears. Indeed, it would be nice to know when Kiya was replaced with Meritaten.
That Kiya gave a daughter to Akhenaten called "Meritaten-Tasherit" is just something proved by this inscription. The usurpation by the "senior" [not "tasherit"] Meritaten is curious.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
That Kiya gave a daughter to Akhenaten called "Meritaten-Tasherit" is just something proved by this inscription. The usurpation by the "senior" [not "tasherit"] Meritaten is curious.
Was ‘Meritaten-Tasherit’ removed when the alterations to remove Kiya but add Meritaten (senior) were made? If Meritaten-Tasherit was left, why? People might think Meritaten was mother of Meritaten-Tasherit? What scribe would make an oversight of that magnitutude?

Do we have the ‘altered’ inscription to compare the changes?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Was ‘Meritaten-Tasherit’ removed when the alterations to remove Kiya but add Meritaten (senior) were made? If Meritaten-Tasherit was left, why? People might think Meritaten was mother of Meritaten-Tasherit? What scribe would make an oversight of that magnitutude?

Do we have the ‘altered’ inscription to compare the changes?
First of all we need to find that block ... homework for the incoming weekend.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I'm back to the work by Peet, to read what he wrote about the Maru-Aten [MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive].

One thing that Peet notes is that, during the excavations, they found a lot of seals for wine jars [and the author comments that there were no "dry" entertainments there ...

Here he considers the inscriptions [MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive] and he noted that the name of Merytaten substituted the one of Nefertiti [here he says so] in not a few cases. But Peet doesn't enter in deep in the analysis of the inscriptions [I would say he was more interested in the structures, judging from this paragraph]. Now I take a look at the plates.

No, at least in this work I don't see a block showing

A King followed by a Queen and a Princess
Titles of the Princess: the King's bodily daughter, his beloved Meritaten-tasherit, (who belongs) to the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, who lives on Maat, the Lord of the Two Lands (Neferkheperure - Waenre)|, born to the wife and great beloved, Kiya;
<Usurped and re-inscribed for the King's Daughter Meritaten>

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I've found a reference with the transcription of the inscription of that block [https://the-eye.eu/public/WorldTrac...ics/Texts from the Amarna Period in Egypt.pdf]. At page 91 [of the work, not of the site] there is what has been seen on the block and unfortunately there are heavy interpolations.

[King's bodily daughter, his beloved, Meritaten] Junior (who belongs) to the King of Upper and Lower Egypt,
who lives [on Ma'at, Lord of the Two Lands, NEFERKHEPERURE WAENRE, born to the king's bodily daughter, his] beloved (?), Meretaten, may she live.

I have put in green the author's comment and in red the interpolations which are reconstructions and partially educated guesses.

This is not a great beginning, but now I do need to see that block.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
I'm back to the work by Peet, to read what he wrote about the Maru-Aten [MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive].

One thing that Peet notes is that, during the excavations, they found a lot of seals for wine jars [and the author comments that there were no "dry" entertainments there ...

Here he considers the inscriptions [MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive] and he noted that the name of Merytaten substituted the one of Nefertiti [here he says so] in not a few cases. But Peet doesn't enter in deep in the analysis of the inscriptions [I would say he was more interested in the structures, judging from this paragraph]. Now I take a look at the plates.

No, at least in this work I don't see a block showing
Interesting that Peet suggests that either Nefertiti transferred the Maruaten to Meritaten or it occurred Nefertiti’s death. I can only see it occurring in Nefertiti’s lifetime. And I can only imagine it occurring with Nefertiti’s blessing. But why? Perhaps because the Maruaten was linked the the Great Royal Wife and her duties, and Nefertiti had become Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten.

Interesting he does not mention Kiya, btw.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Interesting that Peet suggests that either Nefertiti transferred the Maruaten to Meritaten or it occurred Nefertiti’s death. I can only see it occurring in Nefertiti’s lifetime. And I can only imagine it occurring with Nefertiti’s blessing. But why? Perhaps because the Maruaten was linked the the Great Royal Wife and her duties, and Nefertiti had become Ankhkheperure Neferneferuaten.

Interesting he does not mention Kiya, btw.
I have checked the source of the transcription, for a section actually the author has used a fragment found by Peet [LVII 85 MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive], so there was something in that work. The fragment is little and shows a part of the inscription [not the scene]. To read there Meritaten Tasherit needs a bit of imagination [Meritaten is visible, you can see Lord of the Bee and the Sedge, but the rest ...].

A further source is again Hanke, 1973. May be he made the job to compose the puzzle [in Peet's work there are many fragments he didn't put together].

I cannot say if there is a free copy of Hanke's work on the net, I will check.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
I've found a reference with the transcription of the inscription of that block [https://the-eye.eu/public/WorldTrac...ics/Texts from the Amarna Period in Egypt.pdf]. At page 91 [of the work, not of the site] there is what has been seen on the block and unfortunately there are heavy interpolations.

[King's bodily daughter, his beloved, Meritaten] Junior (who belongs) to the King of Upper and Lower Egypt,
who lives [on Ma'at, Lord of the Two Lands, NEFERKHEPERURE WAENRE, born to the king's bodily daughter, his] beloved (?), Meretaten, may she live.

I have put in green the author's comment and in red the interpolations which are reconstructions and partially educated guesses.

This is not a great beginning, but now I do need to see that block.
The way I am understanding is this: ‘Meretaten’ was originally on the block and not a later interpolation!!! The ‘junior’ was there too!? If so, who may the ‘junior’ refer to, I wonder? A daughter of Meretaten? The ‘junior’, then, might well be Meretaten Tasherit, daughter of Akhenaten and Meretaten (Meritaten, Merytaten). If so, of course, thus would make perfect sense IMO.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
I have checked the source of the transcription, for a section actually the author has used a fragment found by Peet [LVII 85 MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive], so there was something in that work. The fragment is little and shows a part of the inscription [not the scene]. To read there Meritaten Tasherit needs a bit of imagination [Meritaten is visible, you can see Lord of the Bee and the Sedge, but the rest ...].

A further source is again Hanke, 1973. May be he made the job to compose the puzzle [in Peet's work there are many fragments he didn't put together].

I cannot say if there is a free copy of Hanke's work on the net, I will check.
You missed your vocation, maybe... you should have studied to become an Egyptologist. I am impressed by your willingness to research without bias.

Similar History Discussions