Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

Mar 2019
Peterborough, Ontario Canada
H
As usually in Chicago University I trust ...

That academical institute has published really good material on the most curious aspect of Ancient Egypt, also about magical bricks.

In KV55 there were no niches for them, they were on the floor [not an irrelevant detail ...].

Anyway from this work [https://oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/shared/docs/magical_bricks_sak_38.pdf] we can learn a lot and, relevant for our case, the epithet of "Osiris" was traditional, liturgical on magical bricks like those ones.
Attached is a photo of the two better preserved magic bricks from KV55–photo from Dennis C Forbes’, The Tomb of Yuya and Thuyu (KV46) and the Amarna Cache (KV55). KMT inc, California 1998. p. 170.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
As usually in Chicago University I trust ...

That academical institute has published really good material on the most curious aspect of Ancient Egypt, also about magical bricks.

In KV55 there were no niches for them, they were on the floor [not an irrelevant detail ...].

Anyway from this work [https://oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchicago.edu/files/uploads/shared/docs/magical_bricks_sak_38.pdf] we can learn a lot and, relevant for our case, the epithet of "Osiris" was traditional, liturgical on magical bricks like those ones.
Had to scan due to lack of time presently, but it seems likely that the named individual on the Bricks was the one being protected. From memory (via Aldred or Bell???) I believe the magic bricks were reasonably in properorirntation to the KV55mummy and on the floor, which seems to have been the case of alignment and place ent of bricks in Thutmosis III’s tomb (KV34).

Whoever put the bricks in KV55 at least believed KV55mummy to be Akhenaten, it would appear. Hard for me to think why the original players of Tiye and KV55mummy in the tomb could get this wrong. But I keep my mind a wee bit open.

As to Allen and his thoughts on ‘Kiya’ being referenced in the tomb. I don’t so much have a problem with anyone making allusions to her presence, but I do have a problem with said presence of she was a commoner and secondary wife. How could Akhenaten’s sutvivors the Royal Family allow such a thing? Unless, of course, Kiya was not just a secondary wife but someone far closer to Akhenaten familial-ly speaking! I fear I am regressing yo my old Meriaten-as-Kiya hypothesis from so long ago on this thread! Though, Nefertiti is a candidate for me still as well.* For me, the bottom line is, ‘Nefertiti’ was very, very important from a young age - citing Tye wife of Ay as tutor/nurse. I can’t rid myself of the idea she was a Royal, an actual Heiress from birth.

*1. That report of Kiya and daughter, Meritaten Tasherit (suggested as being from Year 9 - can’t recall offhand)? When does that image really date from? Year 9? Some other time? Context is important too.
2. That image of Kiya and daughter, unnamed? What’s a commoner getting onto the public stage (inscription/depiction speaking) when Nefertiti and Meritaten are absolutely and inexorably the fashion in Akhenaten’s eyes? And with Tiye still about and prominent herself in affairs (allusion go Amarna !etters) to ensure he doesn’t get too distracted with mere secondary wives and daughters when the purity of the dynasty and the grandkids are (presumably) a prime focus? I find the whole ‘Kiya as secondary wife’ kind of dubious...

...unlesssss.....

... Kiya is a secondary wife, but still Akhenaten’s sister... mmm... just occurred to me as I wrote... ??? Is it possible Nefertiti was a commoner made GRW, but a sister of Akhenaten was still yet one of his wives? Hard to imagine, but the thought is put forward. That scenario would cause some tension between Akhenaten and his Mum and sisters, wouldn’t It? 🤔

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
Re-reading Allen on the Coregency Stela. He mentions a ‘fourth’ figure - a woman - on the Coregency Stela. He suggests Ankhsenpaaten. But he does not provide a photo or diagram of what he is talking about. Do you guys know if there is a photograph or diagram of the Stela showing this ‘fourth’ woman? Indeed, a photo or diagram of the whole Stela, or what remains of it?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
With the name, I was thinking to the layout and [I will be back to those magical bricks] Reeves [The Enduring Mystery of KV55 (1997)] reports that they were in the general direction of the four cardinal points. This was what I remembered and it was the detail which persuaded me that the magical bricks were connected with the body in the coffin, carrying the name of the person in it.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Had to scan due to lack of time presently, but it seems likely that the named individual on the Bricks was the one being protected. From memory (via Aldred or Bell???) I believe the magic bricks were reasonably in properorirntation to the KV55mummy and on the floor, which seems to have been the case of alignment and place ent of bricks in Thutmosis III’s tomb (KV34).

Whoever put the bricks in KV55 at least believed KV55mummy to be Akhenaten, it would appear. Hard for me to think why the original players of Tiye and KV55mummy in the tomb could get this wrong. But I keep my mind a wee bit open.

As to Allen and his thoughts on ‘Kiya’ being referenced in the tomb. I don’t so much have a problem with anyone making allusions to her presence, but I do have a problem with said presence of she was a commoner and secondary wife. How could Akhenaten’s sutvivors the Royal Family allow such a thing? Unless, of course, Kiya was not just a secondary wife but someone far closer to Akhenaten familial-ly speaking! I fear I am regressing yo my old Meriaten-as-Kiya hypothesis from so long ago on this thread! Though, Nefertiti is a candidate for me still as well.* For me, the bottom line is, ‘Nefertiti’ was very, very important from a young age - citing Tye wife of Ay as tutor/nurse. I can’t rid myself of the idea she was a Royal, an actual Heiress from birth.

*1. That report of Kiya and daughter, Meritaten Tasherit (suggested as being from Year 9 - can’t recall offhand)? When does that image really date from? Year 9? Some other time? Context is important too.
2. That image of Kiya and daughter, unnamed? What’s a commoner getting onto the public stage (inscription/depiction speaking) when Nefertiti and Meritaten are absolutely and inexorably the fashion in Akhenaten’s eyes? And with Tiye still about and prominent herself in affairs (allusion go Amarna !etters) to ensure he doesn’t get too distracted with mere secondary wives and daughters when the purity of the dynasty and the grandkids are (presumably) a prime focus? I find the whole ‘Kiya as secondary wife’ kind of dubious...

...unlesssss.....

... Kiya is a secondary wife, but still Akhenaten’s sister... mmm... just occurred to me as I wrote... ??? Is it possible Nefertiti was a commoner made GRW, but a sister of Akhenaten was still yet one of his wives? Hard to imagine, but the thought is put forward. That scenario would cause some tension between Akhenaten and his Mum and sisters, wouldn’t It? 🤔
I remeber that in KV55 they found a cosmetic vase carrying an inscription ...
kiya_giara.jpg

The part on the left is "canonical": two cartouches of the Aten [early version] and the two cartouches of Akhenaten [already Akhenaten]. Putting together the two temporal references we are between late Year 5 and Year 9. This is quite interesting ... since Nefertiti was already Akhenaten's Great Royal Wife.

The right part [last three columns] presents us Kiya.

Starting from left and from the upper part of the column.

The Wife, greatly beloved of the Lord of the Sedge and the Bee, living in Maat,
Neferkheperure Waenre, the beautiful Son of the Aten,
Living who lives in the eternity, forever, Kiya

Last edited:

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
With the name, I was thinking to the layout and [I will be back to those magical bricks] Reeves [The Enduring Mystery of KV55 (1997)] reports that they were in the general direction of the four cardinal points. This was what I remembered and it was the detail which persuaded me that the magical bricks were connected with the body in the coffin, carrying the name of the person in it.
I think Reeves agrees with Martha Bell and/or Cyril Aldred then... Kiya only just the other day reminded me of the Spitalfields business where large number of bodies were examined and a large number of this large number were vastly underestimated as to age. (Must look up that Spitalfields business myself, now am I thinking about it). Anyhow, if KV55 ummm turns out to be Akhenaten, I’ll eat my hat (if I had one - maybe I should buy a hat made of pastry, just in case!)

That coffin and those references to a woman - Kiya in Allen’s opinion - might do with some deep scrutiny. I have to very much doubt it is anything but Akhenaten’s original coffin. Gardiner thought it was made for a male (or I think I remember it was Gardiner). I vaguely remember other studies too, though the consensus is it’s a coffin made fir a female.... and it only just occurred to me... what if it was a coffin made for Akhenaten under instruction from his wife or one or more of his daughters? Would a female design a coffin different in some ways to the norm? What would Hatshepsut have done in the same circumstances, if she has been responsible for entombing her father? That coffin might be androve our, too. And that ‘early Aten form’ business... ‘early’, ‘late’, ‘over-lapping time’, ‘variants running co-current’, ‘localised variants’...??? 2nd mad idea: Was the coffin ‘androgenous’ to invoke duality, male-female divinity, or some such thing, the kind of religio-myth stuff that only Corvidius seems to have a proper handle on? Well, maybe AlpinLuke too... but definitely not me. 😎

Who throws a Pharoah in a secondary wife’s discarded coffin from the early days of Akhetaten, anyhow? Not a doting wife or daughter surely! Why not one their own? Surely better than a secondary wife’s old coffin would be!? And I cannot help but think that if Akhenaten’s original coffin had been destroyed with him still in it... well, I have come to think his mummy would have been dealt with very, very severely too. This would have been at Amarna? Such destruction! I think no. Not before Akhetaten was abandoned. But he and Tiye (and others?) were moved. Possibly with andasure if dispatch. The sarcophagus was left to be obliterated AFTER the mummies and their coffins and their shrines and their what-nots were removed to the VoK.

The damage done AFTER the removal to KV55 - in Ay’s time? - was of a lesser intensity, but nasty - and more subtle. Remove the hieroglyphs of your name on the coffin and you’re mother’s shrine; reverse the pectoral on your head to make you look like a queen; remove your penis so you can’t produce children in the afterlife, have your name expunged from history... that was orderly desecration, no mad burst of destructive anger.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I have already said that the destiny of Akhenaten in that coffin is not so clear.

The presence of the magical bricks [in the ritual and correct layout to protect the person in the coffin] indicates that someone wanted to ensure a "suitable" context for the mummy of Akhenaten to allow him to exist in a "decent" way in the after life. So why to damage the coffin and why to erase his cartouche on it? The Throne Name of Akhenaten is anyway still present [not erased] on the magical bricks ... It's like if today you erase the name on a tombstone and you leave next to the tomb a plaque carrying the name of its occupant ...

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
ERRATA CORRIGE.

For accuracy, about the inscription related to Kiya.

I've noted I've written "The Royal Wife" ... that "Royal" isn't ... it's "The Wife". To be pedant, also that "the" isn't, the sentence sounds better starting with "the".

Similar History Discussions