Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
Ther problem here is that the visible inscription is referred to Meritaten, so that the expression "King's bodily daughter" [... born to the wife and great beloved of the King of Upper and Lower Egyp ... so daughter also of Nefertiti] is referred to Meritaten.
I thought Meritaten replaces Kiya? So does ‘king’s bodily daughter’ get squashed into the inscription to fit Meritaten? Or did the inscription never refer Kiya? If so, why did modern translators put her there in the first place?

Can we look at the inscription itself. I think I need my best hieroglyphs man on this. You, sir, may just be that man! You know, if Kiya is actually referred to as king’s bodily daughter... or Meritaten is Kings bodily daughter (via Kiya’s womb).... anyway, let’s look at that inscription (if we - you - can) and do our own translation. Then we can discuss what it might all mean. 🤔

Edit: found this from the Amarna Project site.

1557912679213.jpeg

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I thought Meritaten replaces Kiya? So does ‘king’s bodily daughter’ get squashed into the inscription to fit Meritaten? Or did the inscription never refer Kiya? If so, why did modern translators put her there in the first place?

Can we look at the inscription itself. I think I need my best hieroglyphs man on this. You, sir, may just be that man! You know, if Kiya is actually referred to as king’s bodily daughter... or Meritaten is Kings bodily daughter (via Kiya’s womb).... anyway, let’s look at that inscription (if we - you - can) and do our own translation. Then we can discuss what it might all mean. 🤔

Edit: found this from the Amarna Project site.

View attachment 19372
The original is in the work by Eric Peet regarding Akhetaten [on the left page you see the drawings MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive]

And here there are the pictures of the granite stela MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
A translation.

Obverse. [What's visible now]

On the right.
Living Great Aten, Lord of Celebration, Lord of what Aten embraces, Lord of Sky,
Lord of Earth in the sunshide of the Royal Daughter Meritaten in the Maru-en-pa-Aten* in Akhetaten.

In the middle.
Cartouches of the Aten [late version, if I see well ... to check].
Lord of the Two Lands Neferkheperure Waenre, Giving Life, Lords of Crowns Akhenaten, durable in Life.

On the left.
Good God //// Lord of Bee and Sedge, Living in Maat, Lord of Two Lands Neferkheperure Waenre.
/////////////////// Royal Daughter Meritaten /////// Neferkheperure Waenre.

[About this paragraph, Eric Peet says that there was Wife there]

*Maru of the Aten, but it's actually the almost fully extended version of Maru-Aten. So I keep it as is.

Mar 2019
Peterborough, Ontario Canada
Ac
With the name, I was thinking to the layout and [I will be back to those magical bricks] Reeves [The Enduring Mystery of KV55 (1997)] reports that they were in the general direction of the four cardinal points. This was what I remembered and it was the detail which persuaded me that the magical bricks were connected with the body in the coffin, carrying the name of the person in it.
Actually Davis reports in TQT that the spots of the bricks in the tomb were “a) in the northwest corner; b) under the mummy couch; c) in the small side-chamber; and d) against the east wall at about seven feet from the northeast corner”(p. 10). Not exactly the cardinal points of the tomb.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Ac

Actually Davis reports in TQT that the spots of the bricks in the tomb were “a) in the northwest corner; b) under the mummy couch; c) in the small side-chamber; and d) against the east wall at about seven feet from the northeast corner”(p. 10). Not exactly the cardinal points of the tomb.
Reeves talks about the direction of the bricks ... it would be interesting to find out if here we are not dealing with an other typical Reeves' excess of optimism [like about Tut's mask ...].

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
There are other fragments in the work by Peet [not only the one reconstructed in the pictures ... btw, the inscriptions on the two sides are almost identical]. I will come back later with the translation of the other fragments.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
There are other fragments in the work by Peet [not only the one reconstructed in the pictures ... btw, the inscriptions on the two sides are almost identical]. I will come back later with the translation of the other fragments.
Excellent. Would like to know where this might lead, if anywhere.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Reeves talks about the direction of the bricks ... it would be interesting to find out if here we are not dealing with an other typical Reeves' excess of optimism [like about Tut's mask ...].
Two words about this point: a not accurate [liturgical] disposition of the magical bricks carrying Akhenaten's Throne Name wouldn't change their value as clues of the presence of Akhenaten ... it would change their value as clue about the one who carried Akhenaten's mummy and coffin to KV55. The set of candidates would be well larger. From a person with generic liturgical knowledge [I guess it was known around that it was important that the magical bricks stayed with the mummy, but to know how to put them in a tomb ... that was more professional] to a priest really on a hurry, afraid to be found hiding the mummy of the dead Monarch.

Similar History Discussions