Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Putting together the other fragments I can read something with a meaning like ...
[btw, according to the analysis made by Peet, who saw physically the fragments, "Royal Daughter" substituted "Royal Wife". So that, this is an evidence that the marriage of Akhenaten with Kiya became at a certain point public. She could have stayed at Palace]

/// Aten //// Royal Daughter beloved of his body ////
daughter /// wife /// giving Life Forever /// Meritaten

Fragment J is even worse
Wife // daughter [*] of the Lord of the Bee and the Sedge
Living in Ma'at Neferkheperure Waenre, Given Life Forever
Royal Daughter beloved of his body Meritaten

* the signs look a mess

Then, I would underline that it wasn't Peet to note Kiya. He doesn't guess who was the wife before of Meritaten.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
Ac

Actually Davis reports in TQT that the spots of the bricks in the tomb were “a) in the northwest corner; b) under the mummy couch; c) in the small side-chamber; and d) against the east wall at about seven feet from the northeast corner”(p. 10). Not exactly the cardinal points of the tomb.
Yes, but this was not unusual according to the Magic Bricks article. 😎

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
Reeves talks about the direction of the bricks ... it would be interesting to find out if here we are not dealing with an other typical Reeves' excess of optimism [like about Tut's mask ...].
But not only Reeves thinks the ‘orientation’ reasonably good, forgetting the cardinal points. Your article on the bricks, as I mentioned to Kyla, does mention bricks placed on floors and cardinal points not necessarily always adhered to.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
Putting together the other fragments I can read something with a meaning like ...
[btw, according to the analysis made by Peet, who saw physically the fragments, "Royal Daughter" substituted "Royal Wife". So that, this is an evidence that the marriage of Akhenaten with Kiya became at a certain point public. She could have stayed at Palace]

Fragment J is even worse

* the signs look a mess

Then, I would underline that it wasn't Peet to note Kiya. He doesn't guess who was the wife before of Meritaten.
So did Meritaten replace Kiya? And, if so, was ‘beloved of his body’ added with the inclusion of Meritaten, or was it there already? If so, did it need to be squashed in? Actually, are you saying ‘Kiya’ may never have been there?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Magic bricks in connection with KV55 and KV62 specifically.

These bricks are inscribed with parts of spell 151, a spell of protection. Given the texts of the spell, the bricks should be seen as associated with the four gods we see wrapped and in a shrine in KV62. These gods being Duamutef, Kebehsenuf, Sekhmet and Geb. However, spell 151 mentions more gods, or objects, than these, and it is these that we see on the bricks, literally on the bricks as the bricks are the bases for the images, and the text is on the bases. In KV62 we have all four gods already mentioned, and on the bricks we have, Anubis, Osiris, a Djed pillar and a figure usually described as shabti type, but could possibly be Geb without a ritual beard. All these objects, the statues and the bricks, are fully Osirian. So, despite the name of Ankhenaten being on two of the KV55 bricks, as he abolished Osiris and even the Duat, it's hard to understand why he has these bricks. As far as can be made out, no such objects existed in TA26, nor niches for them, though the tomb is too badly damaged to come to conclusions. That we have four bricks in KV55 and two are named for Ankhenaten is a reasonable bet that the other two were also, but that cannot be taken for granted. If another name were ever found, then it would make it all just a bit more complicated, maybe.

Going by KV62, the bricks do not, it seems, have to be precisely at the cardinal points, as can be seen in the top image. A caveat is that this tomb was unfinished and rushed, even as regards the magical/ritual construction of the shrines over the sarcophagus. They are so badly ordered in the way they were put together that they had lost any magical properties. This is important to them, so if they were a mess, we have to be cautious in saying that anything else in the tomb was as it should be for a royal burial, including the bricks and their placement.

The bottom image shows the placement of the KV55 bricks, all missing, as far as I can tell, the image of a god or object that should have been on top of them. Their placement is not too dissimilar to that of KV62, with three more or less along the south wall as opposed to three along the west wall of KV62. Though the tomb is badly damaged and was flooded, I would think that they are mostly not far out of position, even the the one under the bier which may have been dislodged from the east wall.

Spell 151 for reference Book of the dead chapter 151

KV62

KV55

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
But not only Reeves thinks the ‘orientation’ reasonably good, forgetting the cardinal points. Your article on the bricks, as I mentioned to Kyla, does mention bricks placed on floors and cardinal points not necessarily always adhered to.
In case of absence of niches dedicated to the magical bricks [which obviously allowed the bricks to be orientated like the walls of the chamber and they were good about orientating structures], we cannot exclude they considered acceptable a generic orientation.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo

Fragment J is even worse

* the signs look a mess

The wife before Meritaten could have been Nefertiti for all we know...

Similar History Discussions