Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
At this point, I imagine that more recently someone else has examined again the pieces detecting Kiya [and no cartouche?] instead of what Peet uncovered.

About Tut's throne, we can see Tutankhkaten and Tutankhamen on it, but also Ankhesenpaaten and Ankhesenamen [Griffith Institute: Carter Archives - 091-08]. They simply altered a couple of cartouches. They didn't mind about erasing the Atenist names.

Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
If I have followed correctly the chain of scholars ... it seems that Russian Perepelkin noted Kiya first at Maru-Aten in 1967. The pictures available are not of a suitable resolution to detect traces of erased inscriptions [and we should keep in mind that Peet didn't note Kiya, but he thought to Nefertiti].

But since today Kiya is in pole position about the Maru Aten, I wonder if other scholars, after Perpelkin, examining again the pieces, reached the same conclusion.

Jan 2017
Bendigo
Peet's drawings show the last aspect [with "royal daughter beloved of his body" and Meritaten]. In his explanation he says that such a sentence substituted "Nefertiti Neferneferuaten Living Forever in the Eternity".

The most interesting point is that in a substituted section he draws the signs for "Wife" [it's incomplete ... but there is the sign of the sitting woman, usually absent in "Great Royal Wife"] ... quite curious reffered to Nefertiti. Left page, detail (a) MEEF 38 Peet, E; Woolley, CL - The City of Akhenaton 1 (1923) : Peet, Thomas Eric (1882-1934); Woolley, Leonard (1880-1960) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive.

About what happened, Peet [according to the legend under the drawings] says that the surface had intentionally erased to allow the substitution. As for I can read, he was able to note traces of the original inscription and to reconstruct it.
I wonder what the two inscriptions - the new and the replaced - look like in hieroglyphs. To get some idea of the space they would take up.

Jan 2017
Bendigo
If I have followed correctly the chain of scholars ... it seems that Russian Perepelkin noted Kiya first at Maru-Aten in 1967. The pictures available are not of a suitable resolution to detect traces of erased inscriptions [and we should keep in mind that Peet didn't note Kiya, but he thought to Nefertiti].

But since today Kiya is in pole position about the Maru Aten, I wonder if other scholars, after Perpelkin, examining again the pieces, reached the same conclusion.
Or is it pure persuasion, I wonder? An assumption where not enough original hieroglyphs can actually be made out? You mentioned the ‘sitting’ woman. Where do you usually find her - in what contexts?

Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Or is it pure persuasion, I wonder? An assumption where not enough original hieroglyphs can actually be made out? You mentioned the ‘sitting’ woman. Where do you usually find her - in what contexts?
Usually at the end of the name of a woman, but in this case it's next to the sign for "wife". Usually the sitting woman was not necessary in "Great Royal Wife" [and they never used it]. It was not rarely present in "wife" [common wife].

Mar 2019
Peterborough, Ontario Canada
  • Kyla

Kyla

Interesting for context (see attached). What were all of the buried greyhounds used for—security? Racing around the elliptical Maru-Aten lake?! The lake reminds me of Tiye’s pleasure lake...and it would have been an extreme feet to keep the water there 2 miles from the city in the middle of the desert which suggests ritual purposes for the lake (think also of the block found at Hermopolis with ‘Kiya’ and the wavy lines)! Curiouser and curiouser...

Attachments

Mar 2019
  • Kyla

Kyla

Interesting for context (see attached). What were all of the buried greyhounds used for—security? Racing around the elliptical Maru-Aten lake?! The lake reminds me of Tiye’s pleasure lake...and it would have been an extreme feet to keep the water there 2 miles from the city in the middle of the desert which suggests ritual purposes for the lake (think also of the block found at Hermopolis with ‘Kiya’ and the wavy lines)! Curiouser and curiouser...
I’m not sure why those files duplicated and didn’t post in order...source is David Silverman and Josef and Jennifer Wegner’s Akhenaten and Tutankhamun:Revolution and Restoration. University of Pennsylvania: 2006

Mar 2019
  • Kyla

Kyla

Jan 2017
Bendigo
Usually at the end of the name of a woman, but in this case it's next to the sign for "wife". Usually the sitting woman was not necessary in "Great Royal Wife" [and they never used it]. It was not rarely present in "wife" [common wife].
Common wife? So at the time the inscription was made, we are looking probably at a secondary wife? The conclusion jumped to = Kiya? Maybe a good guess, it still a guess? No ‘Kiya’ seen in the inscriptions? Or, if ‘bits’ of her hieroglyphs, what ‘bits’?

Similar History Discussions