Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
A link to the work mentioned by Ayrton: The Beautiful One is Come: How Bride Exchange Helped Create Amarna

About this work, I find curious this new iconographic path: the Mitannian depictions of deities would be similar to the way they depicted Akhenaten and Nefertiti in the Amarna art. A clue that the Beauty came from Mitanni?

Like for the Canadian author, my knowledge of Semiotics makes me cautious about similar lines of inquiry. Nothing would have impeded to the artists in Akhetaten to imitate a foreign style [even if, checking how they represented the goddess Arinna, I'm not that persuaded that there are great similarities].
Similarities or influence/inspiration? It is plausible IMO even if not proven. And makes for a more plain-of-day explanation than I see in most theories of the unusual (revolutionary?) iconography. With the campaigns of the 18th Dynasty Pharaohs, I see an ‘opening up’ of Egypt to cultural influences from outside. Empires are changed by those they conquer as much as they change the culture of those they conquer.

If a Mittani influence is seen at all, then do we look for a Mitanni Princess from earlier in the dynasty (pre-Amarna) down whose Royal Egyptian-Mitanni bloodline we find Yuya and his ‘foreign’ looks? So both Egyptian and Mitanni royal blood flowing in his reign. And a Mitanni influence in the way Aten transformed itself? Some ‘foreign’ Influences also showing up in later iconography? Not a program of mine, just some thoughts thrown into the mix.

Ayrton

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Bendigo
The author, in my opinion, reaches a conclusion which can be matter of discussion: KmT in that period was an Empire with a wide sphere of influence and relevant trade / cultural / artistic relationships with the surrounding countries. That Mitannian artistic and cultural influence appeared in that historical moment is not that curious: there were good relationships between Egypt and Mitanni and Mitannian women reached the Egyptian Court [as we know Akhenaten got married with a daughter of King Tushratta]. Like it wasn't odd that there was a cultural influence from South [Nubia] with the clan of Akhmin as bridge.

Egypt wasn't an isolated entity [we can add the artistic works from Crete, probably a part of the Keftiu of the Ancient Egyptians].

I quote the author:

And this is what we should keep in mind. Also in Ancient Rome there were "fashions" imported from abroad [or adopted from the conquered lands], but this didn't indicate a certain origin of the members of the imperial family.
Foreign influence without the brides is more than plausible, but we also have the brides. They would necessarily only support by their very nature and cultural background any ‘foreign’ influences. Not culture inflicted on Egypt, as such, just natural osmosis due to contact and engagement with foreign ways.

Nov 2016
Germany
In the meanwhile I've found a temporal reference regarding a letter of Tushratta [there is a kind of docket on the reverse of the tablet.

Regnal year 2, first month of the Growing Season, day 5.
But that´s exactly the letter EA 27 I recently wrote about in my article:

I wrote:

The reading of the dating at the beginning of the text is controversial because the place is damaged. Erman was the first to decipher the stone and with certainty recognized a 2 (as regnal year of A IV) and only if possible a 10 before it (i.e. a total of 12, i.e. regnal year 12 of A IV). Since then there has been much controversy about how to read the number, as it depends on it whether a co-regency should be set at 12 years or a maximum of 2 years (if any)

What I didn´t know is that the docket is on the reverse of the tablet, instead I wrote "at the beginning of the text", what of course must be wrong, since the text is from Mitanni and the docket from Amarna (I had no exact idea of what ´docket´ means, but now I know). But anyway, it´s about letter EA 27, and the reading of the date is controversial (2 or 12).

Text of the docket (as reproduced by Erman):

1562836500717.jpeg

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
But that´s exactly the letter EA 27 I recently wrote about in my article:

I wrote:

The reading of the dating at the beginning of the text is controversial because the place is damaged. Erman was the first to decipher the stone and with certainty recognized a 2 (as regnal year of A IV) and only if possible a 10 before it (i.e. a total of 12, i.e. regnal year 12 of A IV). Since then there has been much controversy about how to read the number, as it depends on it whether a co-regency should be set at 12 years or a maximum of 2 years (if any)

What I didn´t know is that the docket is on the reverse of the tablet, instead I wrote "at the beginning of the text", what of course must be wrong, since the text is from Mitanni and the docket from Amarna (I had no exact idea of what ´docket´ means, but now I know). But anyway, it´s about letter EA 27, and the reading of the date is controversial (2 or 12).
Yes, I've read there are doubts regarding it, unfortunately I'm not able to take a look at the docket. Now I'm going to look for an image [it could be a case similar to "Year 21" of Akhenaten ...].

In any case [year 2 or 12] this would be an other example [like Year 1 of Smenkhkare or Year 1,2,3 of Neferneferuaten] of a coregent using a different counting of years [with good peace of Redford et al, if I have understood well his point].

Nov 2016
Germany
I´ve inserted the docket text belatedly in #8,534 (screenshot of Erman´s book). Here is it again.

Strangely enough, Erman thought the letter is adressed to Amenhotep III (see shot below). He numbers it by "no. 29". Anyway, in his analysis he writes "I think there's a Ten in front of the Two" (Vor der Zwei dürfte ein Zehner stehen).

1562837932098.jpeg

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
In Erman´s reproduction, the signs for year and number seem to be placed the other way round, or how are the first signs to be read?

View attachment 21428
Well no. In the circle there's "Month 1" [the word "month" had written also in a more complicated way, with a star under the superior sign, it's anyway "abd", its short for was that sign, the vertical sign under it is the number 1, so "month 1"].

So that, what you really see is ...

//// two Month one winter day ///

P.S. I write "winter" to indicate one of their seasons [prt, Peret]. And note that the words "day" and "Peret" are not totally visible in their common form.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions