Akhenaten (Box, Carter Archive 001K)

Status
Closed

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
If any new thread on any single aspect of Amarna is started in isolation, then it will sink. While unwieldy, and admittedly not user friendly to the casual visitor, everything so far is in one place, and as everything is connected, so discussion of one aspect does lead to discussion of another. This looks OT, but really isn't. This is not to say that this thread should continue, as clearly it will not, but to point out, again, that as it is all connected, then any new threads should not be "out there" amongst other, and unrelated topics, but within at least an Amarna, if not Egypt, subforum. This way threads on specific topics, such as the sculptor Thutmose, can be dealt with in detail without the need to digress, as it it within a subforum where it can all be connected anyway, and not separated from the totality of Amarna by threads about Alexander the Great or brothels in Pompeii, both interesting and worthy topics of course, but simply chaff obscuring Amarna threads. Yes, I now hear calls for separate subforums for everybodies pet subjects, and that won't happen, but Amarna is just a wee bit different.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
If any new thread on any single aspect of Amarna is started in isolation, then it will sink. While unwieldy, and admittedly not user friendly to the casual visitor, everything so far is in one place, and as everything is connected, so discussion of one aspect does lead to discussion of another. This looks OT, but really isn't. This is not to say that this thread should continue, as clearly it will not, but to point out, again, that as it is all connected, then any new threads should not be "out there" amongst other, and unrelated topics, but within at least an Amarna, if not Egypt, subforum. This way threads on specific topics, such as the sculptor Thutmose, can be dealt with in detail without the need to digress, as it it within a subforum where it can all be connected anyway, and not separated from the totality of Amarna by threads about Alexander the Great or brothels in Pompeii, both interesting and worthy topics of course, but simply chaff obscuring Amarna threads. Yes, I now hear calls for separate subforums for everybodies pet subjects, and that won't happen, but Amarna is just a wee bit different.
Well, there are two ways to organize the set of the threads [this included] related to Egyptology [I doubt the administration of the forum will concede an "Amarna" something ...]:

1. To add a subsection to Ancient History [so it would become "Home > Forums > Hystory Periods > Ancient History > Egyptology"].
But this requires to discuss the matter with the administrator who can modify the physical structure of the Forum.

2. There would be a way to manage the matter by the moderating team:
to create a sticky thread [which would remain permanently at the beginning of the section] where to put the links to the threads [I could edit it, keeping it in order].

Anyway I think it will be difficult that the MT will allow this.

I could anyway think to an "index thread" [not sticky].

Nov 2016
Germany
@Alcandra:

There is a clear connection between the title ´Hand of Atum´ and ´Handmaiden of the Aten´, which I will not recede from.

First, ´Hand of God´ is a title of the ´God´s Wife´, which was a sacred title for royal women in the 18th Dynasty. Second, ´Hem-T neter´(which is translated as ´God´s Wife´) can alternatively be translated as ´Handmaiden of God´.

It follows from this that ´Hand of Atum´ and ´Handmaiden of the Aten´ are not directly, but certainly indirectly related.

Ralph Ellis, ´Solomon, Pharaoh of Egypt´, 107

The Hand of the God as a title of the God's Wife is clearly of Heliopolitan origin, it being the sun-god's hand that is said to have given birth to Shu and Tefenet, his first-born children. Thus we hear of "the hand of Atum, which gave birth to Shu and Tefenet".

Blackman/Lloyd, ´Gods, Priests and Men´, 150

In the Egyptian, the title 'God's Wife' was known as Hem-t neter, and so 'God's Wife' could also be translated as 'Handmaiden of God'.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
About these discussion related to hieroglyphics we could create a thread linked to a possible "Akhenaten, Nefertiti and Amarna Period" index topic.

Anyway, checking around, I've found out that "God's Servant" is not only an assonance with hmt [for servant], but there was an alternative spelling for God's Wife which actually meant "God's servant".

God-se.JPG

Now, the second spelling, literally doesn't mean "God's Wife", but "God's Servant". Since Hmt ntr is mentioned separately in all dictionaries, I wonder if there was a difference ...

Nov 2016
Germany
God's Wife, God's Servant: The God's Wife of Amun (740-525 BC)

In addition to "God's Wife" these women had other titles, such as "Divine Adorer" or "God's Hand," suggesting that their roles were more complex than is generally discussed. To understand these roles one must keep in mind the function of an ancient Egyptian temple.These were not places where Egyptians would gather to worship their god. Temples were surrounded by enclosure walls, to keep the populace out. This was where the god lived and it was the God's Wife's job to keep him happy.

Ancient Egypt Priests Organisation

As long as the Old Egyptian religion lived, women worked as singer and musicians in the temples. From the time of the Old kingdom, a lot of women from noble and rich families are known who bore the title of a "hemet netjer" (maid of god).

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Here's something to consider. While I know that the thread is not user friendly, and for anybody fresh to at least reading it, then I can understand that to make head or tail of it will be a nightmare, and probably dissuades some people from joining. However, the nature of this thread leads to almost a "stream of consciousness" about Amarna, where if anybody gets a sudden thought about this that or the other, they can make a post here and that can be taken up and run with, or swiftly dropped even. Atomizing Amarna will remove this, for I doubt if anybody will want to create a thread just for a sudden thought that comes into their head, which may be a thing, or nothing. This leads of course to "General thread on Amarna". But by divination I can see that it would become maybe the only thread used, and would simply recreate this thread and, by further divination, can see that any thread on Amarna on any topic could easily find itself expanding due to the interconnectivity of the subject as a whole.

With ancient Egypt as a whole it is easy to have separate threads for different topics, for while there is still this interconnectivity, it is possible to discuss pyramids, farming, coffins, weapons, social structure, and countless other topics without recourse to wandering too far off into other areas. But with Amarna we are looking at a very tight time frame of, at it's core, 17 years, though the lead up to Amarna has to be considered, and it's aftermath. This tight time frame, and the events and personalities involved, make Amarna not just a special case, but the most studied period of all ancient Egypt, and to the general public probably the most interesting aspect along with the Great Pyramid and sphinx. Joe public is not really interested in Senwosret III, or the evolution of the rishi style coffin, let alone the arcane minutiae of temple ritual, but they cannot get enough of "King Tut" and Nefertiti.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Now, I think to create an index thread which will be edited by me to keep it in order, to update it and to avoid it becomes a discussion itself. It will be there to post the links to the specific discussions.

I was thinking to something like "Akhenaten, Nefertiti and the Amarna Period".

I'm aware that any thread about Amarna can expand in an abnormal way [we could risk an outbreak of Amarna!]. But keeping them a bit under controll, regarding excessive digressions, they could be "contained".

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions